Subject:
May 31st, 2008 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 21:58:08 GMT

Our next SMART meeting will be May 31st, 2008. Note, this is two weeks later
than I indicated during the last meeting -- I knew we wouldn't meet Memorial Day
weekend, but didn't think that there was actually a Saturday this month *after*
Memorial Day! Sorry if this causes any problems. I hope everyone will still be
able to make it.

This will be our final Grand Challenge 2008 event. If you have yet to start
building an Indy 5.00 racer, you'd better hurry! The final rules we decided on
are as follows:

   Programs must have a 3-second delay before cars start driving.
   Robots must race around the gray-scale track in a counter-clockwise
direction.
   The robots must be no longer than 10", and no wider than 6".
   Only "normal LEGO construction" is allowed. Only unmodified LEGO pieces are
allowed. HiTechnic Sensors available through LEGO Shop-at-home ARE allowed.
   The race will last 5.00 laps.
   A maximum of 4 robots will race at the same time.
   Robots must be completely autonomous.
   If all the robot's tires cross the solid black area, or any tires go off the
mat surface, the car will be disqualified from that race.
   If your robot is stopped or disabled for any reason, you are allowed to stop
the program, place the robot as close as possible to it's current location on
the mat, and re-run the program. This will mean that besides the time to correct
the problem, your robot will incur a 3 second penalty since the robot's program
must wait 3 seconds before driving.
   If the judges determine unsportsmanlike conduct, (just for example, a racer
that thinks it's a sumo robot, though certainly not limited to just that) then
they have the right to disqualify the robot from the race.

As usual, we'll be meeting at Digipen, from 2pm to 5pm. Our mini-challenge is to
build a robot for SMART-Bot City. It needs to be able to line-track 3/4" black
masking tape lines, and handle 90-degree turns. The robot size restrictions are
basically that it never goes more than 6" from the line, even when turning the
corners. Gus will post more about this, including some sample code in the near
future.

We talked about this display at our last meeting. Here is the PowerPoint
presentation about the idea:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Meetings/2008-04/Videos/april_2008_smart_meeting_notes.ppt

At the last meeting we had some very interesting robots with 'unique' ways of
moving. I've posted pictures here:

The video folder isn't moderated, but you can watch these robots in action by
following these links:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Meetings/2008-04/Videos/cimg2558.avi
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Meetings/2008-04/Videos/cimg2559.avi
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Meetings/2008-04/Videos/cimg2560.avi