Subject:
January meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 04:36:09 GMT

For those that were not at the November meeting, for Brick Heap Wars (which was
a blast, BTW!), the challenge for the January meeting is to build a robot that
either manipulates Lego soccer or basketballs, or crates, like the robots in our
Collaborative Crate Contraption that we showed at the NW Brickcon.  The unstated
goal is to get more people bringing robots to contribute to the contraption for
future shows.

With the long weekend, I found some time to build a novel ball elevator (no RCX,
so not really a robot) that raises balls up about 12", where they can then feed
some other mechanism.  I currently have it set up so it feeds itself, and is
interesting to watch on its own!

I also put together a ball sorter, very similar to the one that David built for
the contraption.  It was a fun build, and interesting programming challenge,
getting things tuned so it sorts reliably (currently around 96%, but it will be
much worse once it is at a show, based on past experience!).

I'm also going to spend some time working to improve the reliability of the
robots I contributed to the past displays of the contraption.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with at the January
meeting!