 Organizations / United States / SEALUG / 162
161  |  163
Subject:
SEALUG April Meeting Minutes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:14:54 GMT

Hey all,

First off a big thanks to Mark S. for the pics.  I had a feeling someone
(you) was going to ask me to type up minutes.  Let's hope I don't forget
something/someone.

Well, we were back as Wayne and Terri's house this time and that always
seems to encourage a good turnout, I'm not sure why.  I'm lousy with names,
so don't even think about me listing everyone who came.  You know who you
are and are not, check the photo's if you've forgotten if you came. :)

However, a big hello was made to the new guy, Mark Newman, who's someone who
knows how to make an entrance with that impressive mech.  Also joining us
was Mark Sandlin's friend Val, who marveled at our geekiness and munched on
the candy bricks I brought.

After our usually lengthy show-and-tell period at the beginning, I brought
out the tape of the recent Simpsons episode that starts off with trip to
Block-o-land.  Absoluetly hilarious bit and it's too bad they didn't make an
episode out of it like the Krusty-land ep.

Bart (struggling in shirt made out of bricks): Awww, why did I buy this
stupid Lego shirt?
Marge: Don't you me Block-o shirt?
Bart:Riiiiiight.

Other activities in no particular order:

Wayne showed off a recent acquisition of a large collection of Modulex
bricks.  These are made by Lego for architects to use.  They're cubic in
nature in that everything is measure by the 1x1 brick so a stack of 4 2x4's
has the same height as a 2x4 is long.  Does that even make sense?

Inspired by Ashley's party game description last time, I devised a torture,
er game, where the object is to put together a small Life On Mars set (7303
Jet Scooter) WITHOUT taking it out of the clear polybag in the box.  Since
we didn't want to take all day, I put a 2 minute time limit, and just about
everyone (me included) got to about the same, halfway point.  Wayne won and
Brian Mclean came in a very close second with only two pieces separating
them (even though Brian's tile was 90degrees closer to correct) and they
both won they set they played with.

We used my 6600 Highway construction set to put all of our road
construction/dump truck MOCs together.  It turned out pretty neat. (Mine's
the biggest) :*)

Ashley had a print out showing the layout of the SEALUG site in progress.
It's starting to come together and he gathered a little more info about our
favorite Lego sites.  We also checked out Mark S's latest logo graphic.
He's taken out the 2x4 and inserted three 1x4s next to each other in the
three primary colors. (Yellow, Red, Blue)

As Mark mentioned the Group theme challenge is for a Seige or Transportation
device from Medieval Times.  Yes, Spacey-Sealug is being thrown back into
the dark ages....

...I love it.  :*)

Of course, if that doesn't interest you, there's not going to be a large man
named Guido at the door checking to see if you have something that qualifies
before he let's you in.

Really, it's his day off  :")

Speaking of the next meeting, it's Saturday, May 5th at 1pm and I'll be
hosting at my house in Bothell.  I'll send out directions closer to the date
in question.  For those of you wondering, no my wife didn't kill me for
volunteering to host a week before our vacation.  We do have a large loving
dog, who can't jump up luckily, and a cat who is studing to be an
ankle-assasin-ninja-cat so I apologize to those of you with alergies/phobias in
advance.

C-ya soon, I'm going to bed.

Sean Forbes