Re: Proposed Brikwars Scenario
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:16:43 GMT

"Shaun Sullivan" <shaun_sullivan@irco.com> wrote in message
news:GwzBrI.JB6@lugnet.com...

The year is 2185.  Six months ago, all contact with Coalition Research
Vessel Zero-Point-Nine-Three-Seven [1] was lost.  The Coalition • Parliament,
fearing that the ship might have fallen victim to any of a number of • unseemly
and equally dire scenarios; pirate craft have been growing bolder of late,
taking advantage of the unrest caused by the small factional upheaval in • the
outer colonies, who are attempting to establish for themselves a localized
government.  The Coalition has therefore dispatched a Space Marine Cruiser • from
its routine patrol several solar systems away to investigate.  Due to the • vast
distances separating the two, the Cruiser has only now just docked with • the
massive Research Vessel, and the Marine Platoon is preparing to enter.

Unfortunately, the Factions have gotten word of the Marine Cruiser's • mission to
investigate the silent Research Vessell.  Even more portentious, Faction • moles
within the Coalition scientific research establishment have finally pieced
together information about a government funded project, the location of • which
is most likely aboard Zero-Point-Nine-Three-Seven.  Apparently an effort • was
underway to design a new species, based heavily on an alien organism • recently
found on an unlikely, harsh-environment planet.  The moles, hearing rumors • of
the characteristics and traits of the new breed, and having watched the • movie
"Aliens" many times, feel that this might offer the Factions a tremendous
opportunity to harvest a new weapon which is adaptable, deadly, and • incredibly,
incredibly, *ridicuously* cool.  Additionally, the fundamental research • taking
place on the Vessel is in itself tremendously valuable, as it would allow • the
Factions to catch up to the Coalition in the fields of biological • enhancement,
genetic development, and organistic modification, all in a single fell • swoop.

As such, the Factions have decided to run the risk of this dangerous
undertaking, and race to the Research Vessel as well.  They arrive on the • scene
immediately after the Marines, but prior to the boarding of the Vessel. • The
Faction troops swing their ship in a breakneck arc to pull alongside the
Vessel, on the opposite side from the Marines.  They manage to safely • tether to
the Research Vessel before the Marines fire a shot, and feel confident • that the
Marines won't risk destroying the Coalition ship by blowing up their craft • once
it is attached.  They quickly dispose of formality, and breach the hull,
entering the Research Vessel nearly simultaneously to when the Marines • open the
Airlock and step in.

<snip>

Home Base, this is is Freedom. We have succeeded. We have obtained a device
of amazing power. It temporarily cloaks you. Although, looking over some of
the data we uploaded, it seems this device may react differently depending
on the species wearing it. This will require further investigation.

Our intelligence was fairly good. There is a special lab on
Zero-Point-Nine-Three-Seven accessible only by teleportation. We were able
to locate an access key and get them running. Only myself and Scout 3 now
make up Freedom. The remainder of the team, Homebound, stayed behind to
eliminate the rest of the Coalition's borg, take possession of
Zero-Point-Nine-Three-Seven and bring it to Home Base. As this was a
standard unit, we believe there are only 2 to 4 units remaining. Homebound
has more than enough firepower handle it.

However, while the Coalition proved to be highly ineffective, there is an
alien life form on board Zero-Point-Nine-Three-Seven that was not. We
eliminated 2 of them and we saw the remains of a third. It is unclear how
many still remain on board. We have a tactic to handle them, but they gave
us significantly more trouble than the Coalition ever did. It looks like
these creatures wiped out the original crew. There were no surviours. We
have some data on them. Again further investigation is required.

A more detailed report will be forthcoming. Freedom out.