 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 118
Re: NCLUG's First Exhibit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:33:25 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Tomorrow afternoon (8/6/00) the North Carolina LEGO Users Group will • exhibit
for the first time.  The display will be set up a stationary caboose that
belongs to the New Hope Valley Railway in Bonsal, North Carolina (about 15
miles south of Raleigh).  More details and the planned layout can be seen
at:  http://www.nclug.net/events/nhvry_000806.htm

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow night.

FUT:  lugnet.org.us.nclug,lugnet.trains.org

Thanks,

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

This is a little delayed but better late than never.  I was reluctant to
post until I got some pictures uploaded but since I lost my USB cable, that
has taken a little longer than I expected.

All in all, we had a very successful innaugural exhibit.  The weather was
extremely hot and humid and while we were inside, we did not have any AC and
the air was not really moving.  Did I say it was hot?  ;-)

We ended up with a series of four tables laid out in an 8'x5' configuration.
Because we were in a caboose, there was not a lot of room so kids (and
adults) were right up next to the display.  We had a few fingers touching
things but no major issues.  We only had one crash and it was my own caboose
that hit the floor.  Frank Filz's tanker suffered minor disassembly in the
same incident but I think we have it all back together.

Overall the response was very positive.  The New Hope Valley Railway folks
were pleased that there was an exhibit and that we had a LEGO version of
their train.  They all recognized it so I guess it is a pretty good
representation of it (pictures of just the engine are here:
http://www.nclug.net/members/mw/trains/engines.htm).

We had far more trains than we had time to run so many train cars had
minimal (if any) track time.  We definitely need a bigger space.  While
being in the caboose was kind of neat, August in North Carolina is probably
not the ideal time of the year to be in a non-air conditioned venue.  We
hope to do one of the train shows in the fall sometime.

Pictures of the exhibit are on both Brickshelf and the NCLUG web site:

NCLUG:  http://www.nclug.net/events/nhvry_000806/index.htm
Brickshelf:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1041

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com