Re: MichLTC train/town display at local NMRC show, Livonia MI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:17:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Alfred Speredelozzi writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Frank Filz writes:
"Peter F. Guenther" wrote:

Alfred Spez.. um, Alfred S.'s Troy building from the campus of Rensellaer
Polytechnic with some great ivy on one side, and David Kohrman's romanesque
train station:

Hmm, is Alfred another one of the secret cabal of RPI Alumni AFOLS?

Frank ('85, '89).

Yes he is.  We should have our own group.

And you don't want to know how expensive it is to make those copper-green
roofs.  I once thought of making a layout of the entire campus around '86
field.  Now I think I will have to be much richer for that.  maybe I can get
the Alumni office to commission it? :)

I just took the online tour of RPI and found the original inspiration for
Alfred's building --> http://www.rpi.edu/dept/NewsComm/sub/tour/troy.html
I am more impressed than ever at how accuratly it has been reproduced in Lego
mini-fig scale.
Many college and university websites offer virtual tours of their campuses,
some with photos good enough to be used for building ideas.

Oh, and with all of the buildings on the '86 quad, I can see why Alfred would
need an endowment to model them from Lego bricks.  But, this would be true of
anyone trying to recreate any historic college campus.  And I would think it
almost impossible to model any gothic-style buildings in this scale and have
them look "right."

__Kevin Salm__