Subject:
MichLTC's Display - GATS - Novi, Michigan, January 12 & 13th, 2002 - Scott's Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:52:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

To All,

MichLTC’s display at GATS this year in Novi, Michigan was a great time. We
had a huge display this year, complete with a kid’s area, and a bigger
layout. It was a lot of hard work, which is spawning some great discussions,
and it can only go upwards from here.

This display started being planned right after our show in Grand Rapids in
July 2001. We had a lot of discussions in terms of everything, from the
display size, to what will be there. We also had some new members help out,
which is always cool. We had a lot of new buildings that were displayed.
Track Designer was a Godsend here, as well as a lot of communication.

Here are some links to various pictures:

Scott Sanburn’s:

David Kohrman:

Larry Pieniazek:

Jason Spears:

Amy Hughes:

Friday, January 11th, 2002:

Friday was a long day for me. I packed up and got the U-Haul trailer from
U-Haul, and loaded up. I had the Shell Station and the train station in the
back of the TrialBlazer. My lovely and gracious wife Lynn insisted we had
dinner together, so we had a romantic 5-minute lunch at McDonalds in the
parking lot. I departed from Elkhart around 11:15AM.

I arrived in Novi at around 2:45PM, and Lester Witter was there as well. We
got the trailer in, and unloaded it before people got there.  Chris
and party arrived, and we started setting up the display. I was sick the
whole weekend, so I was not feeling too well. Here is some setup picks (I
dropped my camera the week of the show, and broke the battery holder, so I
did not get as many as I would like):

Chris Leach’s stuff:

Steve Ringe’s incredible switchyard / turntable being set up:

Jason Spear’s Go-Kart Factory:

Jason Spear’s Dist. Center:

Here is a shot of the industrial area being set up:

Here is the corner where the Shell Station is being set up:

Garry Stahl and Rick Hallman work hard on the display, with roaming Octan
Tanks finding their place:

Here is one of our new people’s creations, David Kohrman, an impressive
engine and a German WW2 tank:

Tony Hedglen setting up plates in the industrial area:

Downtown area, Jason’s Hotel, and a mis-parked bus, along with Rick Hallman:

Chris Leach’s impressive tribute to September 11th:

Some of Trevor Pruden’s colony buildings (One of Rick Hallman’s fighters):

Rick Hallman’s Hanger:

Trevor Pruden’s Capital ship:

Anyway, we set up a lot of stuff, trying to figure out some missing items,
and the like. I had a lot of trouble with my Train Station, in terms of the
canopy, and the tables. At one point, Steve and Chris were finalizing the
plate layout, and had to move it a plate, which ended up collapsing the
canopy. : ( I think my train station needs it’s own base so that doesn’t
happen again. Most of the display was set up by the time we left.

Friday Night Roll call:

Tony Hedglen
Rick Hallman
David Kohrman
Jason Spears
Trevor Pruden and wife
Kai Brodersen
Chris Leach and Sandy
Larry Pieniazek
Peter Guenther
Steve Ringe
Garry Stahl
Ken and Trevor Koleda
Scott Sanburn

(If I forgot anyone, please LMK!)

We wrapped up around 9:00PM, and we left, knowing that we had a bunch of
stuff to do, since this was our biggest display. Most of the group went to
Big Boy, while Tony and I headed up to Flint, and we stopped at one of the
worst Burger King’s I have ever been at.

Saturday, January 12th, 2001

We came back Saturday morning at 7:00AM, to finish setting up. We had
vehicles to put up, signs, trees, and finishing touches. Kai and Larry built
the ore boat for the ore dock, and finished it, as it did not survive
transport (Welcome to the club, Kai!) We also wore our spiffy MichLTC shirts.

It opened up at 11:00AM, and it was crazy. The crowd around the display was
ever present and even cause traffic jams on the west side, near the wall.
The kid’s table was a big hit, as kids built a lot of stuff.  Here are some
people around the display when it started:

It appears that I did not get enough pictures, but here are some of the new
buildings:

Interior shot of train station:

Overall shots of train station and Shell Station:

Other pictures of the show:

Peter Guenther’s buildings:

Rick Hallman’s Post Office:

Folks, if you have better pictures, or a better display of things you made,
feel free to respond to this and add your stuff, since my camera was broken.

It was very busy the whole day, Jason Spears went for lunch, as there were a
lot of crowds around us the entire day. The kids’ table was very busy all
day and we did a number of presentations about layout designs, LEGO train
parts, and other items. Larry Pieniazek, Chris Leach, and myself did them,
although I missed one of the Saturdays ones. We also had a hard time working
the crowds, since it was so crowded, so I sat in the corner near my train
station and my Shell Station, and answered questions that way. We also gave
out most of our catalogs on Saturday, and almost ran out of flyers. We
printed 400!

Afterwards, we went to Big Boy’s, and had some discussion, but we decided to
go to Chris’s instead to talk about things. We had a lot of fun, and some
good discussions. We also had a lot of fun with Steve Ringe’s new 4x4 tires.
We left around 8:30PM, and I went back to Flint.

Saturday Roll Call:

Tony Hedglen
Rick Hallman
Jason Spears
Trevor Pruden and wife
Kai Brodersen
Chris Leach
Larry Pieniazek
Peter Guenther
Steve Ringe and son
Garry Stahl
Ken and Trevor Koleda
Scott Sanburn
Amy Hughes

Sunday, January 13th, 2002

I went to Meijer to get some snacks, and bought some sets for the kids, a
Life on Mars value pack and some Creator buckets. We arrived around 10:00AM,
and went about our business. It was again very crowded, and we had a good
time. We also set up some track for the kids display. I had to leave for a
little while, so I missed some of Sunday afternoon.

At the end of the show, we had around a 2.5-hour tear down, and a lot of
people helped out. We ended up going to Big Boy’s yet again, and had a good
dinner, and I left for Osceola, and got in around 11:35PM Sunday night.

Overall, I thought it was a great show, with a lot of new items, and a few
problems as well. We are planning some new items, in terms of tables and
creations, so I think our next display will be even better.

Anyway, thanks to all the people who helped make the show our best, and I am
looking forward to the next show!

LMKWYT!
Scott S.