Subject:
MichLUG 1st Anniversary Meeting - Scott's Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:57:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

To All,

MichLUG has a great meeting on Saturday, October 20th, 2001. We were
celebrating the 1st anniversary of MichLUG, right back where we started, in
Dewitt, town of progress. : ) My apologies for the lateness of the post, it
was a busy morning.

We met at one of our member's churches, DeWitt Church of Christ, where one
of our members, Rick Hallman, goes. Big thanks from all of us to those who
let us use your great facility.

Here is the list of attendees (Took it from Rick's list, thanks Rick!)

Rick Hallman
DJ Carter
Jason Spears
Peter Guenther
Chris Leach (I cannot remember your kids names, sorry!!!)
Wife ? Sandy
Kid 1 - Kira
Kid 2 ? I forgot his name, son
Tony Hedglen
Scott Sanburn (!)
J. Spencer Rezkalla
Steve Bliss
Kristen? Kirsten?
Jamie Bliss
Son (forget name) Bliss
Ondrew Hartigan
Tim Courtney
Larry Pieniazek
Larry's son Nikolai
Kai Brodersen
Lester Witter

The meeting started at 12:00PM, I of course, was late, since I always seem
to be, even if I try to accommodate the time change. A lot of people
brought different creations; here is a partial list (with accompanying
links)

Overall Links:

Here are some pictures of the meeting area:

Here are some pictures of the kid's area, we had some track and some parts
so the kids that came could play, it was a nice thing to have, especially
when you have long meetings like we end up having! : )

Here is a cake we had (Ummm?. Cake?..)

Creation specifics:

Jason Spears:

Jason brought some really nice buildings, which will be included in the
January show. He has a knack for large buildings. Here are some pics:

Peter Guenther:

Peter brought some creations from across the board, from castle to town,
his creations are just crazy!

Train Stuff:

White / Light Gray /  Blue train (I forgot the name Peter!)

Streetcar:

Dinosaur transporter:

This is really neat, he built a train car that has a dinosaur in it, and
when the train moves, the dinosaur gets upset and moves! : )

Here are the pictures:

Here is Peter demonstrating it:

Middle age cathedral:

This was beautiful, he really captured the essence and feel of an ancient
church. Great job!

McDonalds (New & Improved with Play Place!)

He modified his McDonalds into having a Play Place. It looks really great.
Here is a picture:

Larry Pieniazek & Son:

Larry brought a few things, including a small rail station, some ideas for
a MichLTC standard car. Here is the train station:

(Bad Picture)

His son Nikolai also brought some various creations, great job! : )

Spencer brought his outstanding rendition of the F-117A Stealth Fighter.
Just awesome! It is a sight to see, I am just amazed how he got the angles
and the look to it. (One of my favorites, obviously)

Tony Hedglen brought his great Sawmill, complete with rotating water wheel.
Great job, Tony!

Tim Courtney and his friend, made a visit, it was nice to see him again. He
brought his great Harrier model.

Kai Brodersen brought his in progress Ore Dock, with pictures, it appears
he is well on his way to getting that complete, great job Kai!

He also brought the Classics Metroliner and the Club car, here are some
pictures of him building it:

I brought some orders from my Brickbay store, so they could save money on
shipping. Thanks, everyone!

Overall meeting:

Here are a few leftover pics:

Chris Leach's wife, Sandy (A conversion to the AFOL side, heh-heh), is
busily working on a few models from idea books, as Steve Bliss's wife
plots. ; )

Here is Chris, Sandy, Tony, and Jamie looking at Larry and his game.

Usually, we usually just sit around and talk, about upcoming events,
different items concerning, TLC, etc. This meeting was a little different.
Tony and I discussed the upcoming fundraiser, and our plans. It is coming
together, but I think it will be more along the lines of the Contraption
show.

We had some snacks, and after about 2 hours or so, Jason Spears called into
attention the meeting, and we raised some issues. One being the MichLTC
logo, and shirts, and what do we want to do. We voted for one finally, and
we are proceeding to the next step of getting them produced. Second, we
were talking about some other options in regards to the layout, namely
backdrops, and we turned them down. We discussed the kids area, and how we
would approach that.

After that, we decided to help Larry P. sorting out some of his 5542's. It
took a little while, but we got finished, and we then played his game. I
actually liked his other one better from our last meeting. Larry explained
it well enough in a previous post.

Here are some pics:

After that, we talked a little more, and dispersed around 7:30 PM EST. Tony
and I went to his house and discussed some other items, and I drove to my
parents house in Flushing Michigan. Here are some totally irrelevant pics
from me. Here is my Mom's house:

I always wanted to take some pictures of the attic, where my collection was
for many moons during my childhood. Here they are:

I also stopped by the Ypsilanti Shell Station, right on 94 and Michigan
Road 12, where I got ideas for my Shell Station, I snapped a few pics. I
also got some of the newer promotion sets finally! : )

All in all, it was a good event, I had a great time, and can't wait to do
it again! Although, I am sure getting tired of driving all weekend!

Scott S.
--
Personal: http://www.scottesanburn.org
LEGO Page: http://www.scottesanburn.org/legoindex.html