Re: GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Could someone please let me know, how many people have been attendes of the
GATSs Lego Layout. Who has been there and whose models are to be seen? I know
only a very few of the names so far, so please let me know a little more....
Who has planned the layout?
Who has brought rolling stock, who buildings?
Have there been people just for working on the layout without own models? • Have
you chartered some trucks for the transport of this amount of bricks? ;-)

See lugnet.org.us.michlug  or the MichLUG website at www.michlug.org for
details of this particular GATS show, which was held in Grand Rapids MI
weekend before last.

Thanks Larry!

I had read a few of the lugnet.org.us.michlug reports, but I was just to stupid
to check out www.michlug.org on my own. :-(

That URL answers in fact all my questions. Maybe it would be helpful for now
and future events if people add just a small text file with the URL of the
specific LTCs homepage into their brickshelf gallery.

However GATS (Great American Train Shows) is a company that puts on a train
show or two just about every weekend of the year, *somewhere* in the US. So
US LTCs have started exhibiting at shows local to them. This is win win as
it draws crowds to GATS, GATS pays a small appearance fee and the LTCs get
to show off their stuff and meet potential new members.

That part of the story was quite familiar for me. Just one last question: which
was the first LTC to exhibit at GATS? The PNLTC or Conan with "his" GMLTC
layout?

I set FUT to org.us.michlug.... most of your questions are answered there
(where this was heavily discussed before, during and after) or on the
website... the planning was done via that group and offline, various MichLUG
members contributed track, buildings, baseplates, vehicles, rolling stock
etc, and we brought the stuff onto the show floor in our own private
vehicles (including a pickup truck, a Suburban, a Durango and several
passenger cars, 7 in all) and took it out the same way. GATS supplies the
tables.

Expect to see lots more of these sorts of GATS show reports from this and
other clubs, the ball is starting to pick up momentum. I think GFLUG has a
GATS show this weekend IIRC.

I'm happy to have a free web access from work: there are hundreds of megabytes
to download each week: brickfest, michlug-GATS, private galleries, ...

Regards,

Ben