 Organizations / United States / GMLUG / 114
Re: Indiana Group forming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gmlug, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:13:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.gmlug, Eric Smith writes:
I had a question for the official-type people of GMLUG. I'm in the Midwest
but obviously can't get to Minneapolis for a meeting. We are in the process
of forming IndyLUG, centered in Indianapolis. I also saw that MichLUG has
been formed. Both of us are in your "territory" and it seems that perhaps
GMLUG should contract its territory to maybe Minnesota and Wisconsin. I
think there's enough room for other states/areas in the Midwest to have
independent clubs that are not "chapters" of GMLUG. Follow up via private
e-mail...I tried to get an e-mail address from your site but your SQL Server
appears to be down or unreachable.

I am not an official-type person of GMLUG but I seem to recall some
discussion (or maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part) that saw GMLUG
as a blanket virtual organization... places with high concentrations of fans
have their own orgs. That does NOT mean they are "subsidiaries" of GMLUG,
unless they wanted to be (leveraging the website, etc...). Hence, the
territory of GMLUG continues to cover Michigan even though MichLUG exists,
is active, and is not really a sub of GMLUG. (no one in MichLUG that I know
of has ever said we are, I don't think, and that's about as organised as we
ever get...)

If you agree with that stance you don't need to think about what GMLUG
"territory" is at all, just do your own thing, don't worry, and be happy.
I'd sort of not like to get into the whole "whose territory is it anyway"
discussion if we can avoid it, IMHO.

PS I am really kicking myself because I was *in* Indianapolis for part of
last week and the week before...