 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 487
486  |  488
Subject:
Gathering Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:28:21 GMT

Train Layout:
The train layout is progressing nicely.  The mountain castle with tunnel is
complete except for architectural details.  There are two train stations, a
Hogwarts style train, a passenger monorail, a hotel, two houses, a cafe, an
Octan gas station, a volleyball court, a pond, and several cars, a cross gate
with building, a machine shop, and trucks.  The train track is set up and tha
monorail is set up. Augie is building a police station. The layout is 8'x4'.
Paul made a suggestion that we get Eric S. to build a robot with a light sensor
that will detect the train going by and its arm will lower as if to grab the
train. brilliant! Eric and Brett Schrader continued working on the train layout
during the evening.  I will be working on the castle and the ferriswheel.

Train Show:
The Dover train show is Nov 21 from 9am to 3pm at Dover High School (off of Rte
15 S).  Setup has to be complete by 9am for opening of the show.  Donald Brills
is the organizer and was very enthusiastic about us showing a Lego layout.  Paul
has been "volunteered" to bring his Sante Fe Cars to the show.

Future meetings:
Future meetings will be held on First Sunday of the month 4pm to whenever.  Next
meeting will be held Nov 7.  This will be good timing as we can finish the train
layout details for the train show.

Film viewing:
We watched the tape of OKTV's Eric Sophie show.

Creations:
Paul demonstrated his Jin Sato Mibo.  An incredible design!  I had been reading
about the robot on the internet this week and in walks Paul with the thing!

Challenge build:
The yellow xpod was used and Augie and Paul made flying spaceships.
Pictures were taken and will eventually be put on Brickshelf once I burn the
film up.

FIRST Lego League:
The competition will be held 9am to 4pm Dec 11 at Mt Olive High School.  The
first meeting will be held tonight at 7pm at my house.  Any support from you
robot guys will of course be appreciated.  I was thinking that Paul can come to
a meeting and show off his Mibo and maybe Eric S. can come and demonstrate one
of his creations.  This years competition is making the world handicap
accessible.

Morris County Competition:
I will be participating in the local grade school again this year.  The
competition is held in April at Morris Hills high school.  The after school
program usually starts around March.  They use the Mindstorms 2.0 box set.  Any
one interested in helping will be a great help to me.  Again these kids would
love to see a Paul and and Eric creation.

BrickFest:
Showed pictures and talked about the great experience we had at the con!  Also
showed all of the goodies we got at the con.

Happy Building
Patty