 Organizations / United States / DelVaLUG / 35
34  |  36
Subject:
DelVaLUG at NBC10 Consumer Expo 11/12-13
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:20:57 GMT

What: The NBC10 Consumer Expo was the latest incarnation of an annual event conducted by Philadelphia TV station WCAU. DelVaLUG’s first public event was at last year’s Halloween-weekend Tech & Lifestyles Expo (Brickshelf photos) (and we still don’t know how the organizers learned of our existence). This year the hall was shared by America’s Videogame Expo. (If we’d known that beforehand, we might’ve built some themed arcade game MOCs.)

Where: The Ft.Washington Expo Center is located just off the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Route 276), to the northwest of Philadelphia. It also hosted the Greenberg train show (Brickshelf photos) at which DelVaLUG exhibited this past February.

DelVaLUG’s parcel was located in the Lifestyles & Entertainment portion of the show, the rear-left quadrant, near the Future City Competition, the Amateur Radio Relay League, and various vacation providers. It was also proximate to the “Videotopia” section of vgXpo, filled with three dozen 1980s arcade games (relatively quiet) and various dance- and guitar-simulators of more recent vintage (indisputably loud). (By “loud” I mean “84 decibels” -- I measured it. That’s not only “strain your voice to be heard,” that’s “hearing damage with prolonged exposure” territory. Ouch.) The FIRST Robotics kids, with tabletop and lawnmower-sized R/C robots, were on the other side. (The FIRST LEGO League, as seen at BrickFest, is the 101 level of FIRST.)

When: Saturday 11/12 and Sunday 11/13, 10:00-17:00, plus setup on Friday afternoon and each morning, and breakdown Sunday afternoon. Breakdown proceeded very quickly -- starting at 16:45 all the MOCs were packed away within 30 minutes (into Ziploc bags, cardboard boxes, purpose-built wooden trays), and Tim’s ILTCO-standard tables were dismantled and toted away by 18:00.

This isn’t like BrickFest -- seven hours of standing, answering questions, and standing poised to answer questions is tough on the feet. Fortunately, this year our parcel came with two chairs instead of one. (We didn’t need to bring out the two I’d brought in anticipation.) (OTOH, it’s not like the LEGO Road Show, either -- it’s air-conditioned.)

Who: Saturday was crewed by Jim F., Phil T., and new DelVaLUG member Roy F. Sunday added Tim C. and Jeff S., plus (for several midday hours) two members of PennLUG.

The usual assortment of hundreds of attendees tramped past the display: casual glancers, wide-eyed youngsters, “LEGO makes trains?” incredulites, and a small number of YFOLs and dark-age potential AFOLs. We handed out a great many informational mini-flyers, plus various Shop At Home back issues (“Where do I buy trains?”) and catalog-request cards; also (to likely prospects) cards promoting the LEGO program at Philcon this December (one of two DelVaLUG events that weekend).

The vgXpo attracted a dozen college-age cosplayers (Saturday only, for some reason), and some vendors had booth bunnies. Few of them managed to drop by.

MOCs: Ten ILTCO-standard table-modules, featuring: two train loops, Tim C.‘s giant sandy mountain with tunnel, Jeff S.‘s train station, and more -- I’ll address this in detail in a follow-up post. A first batch of 25 photos is now on Brickshelf. (I apologize for those that are dim or blurry -- the hall’s lighting was much worse than it seemed.)