 Organizations / United States / 97
Re: something nelug could do
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:42:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I would recommend against such a thing. sounds unprofessional. TLG
may only find such request for contact annoying and see it as coming
from a niave view. It also may just support their vision of
fanatical young men who live for toys and sci-fi. (no offense)

Yeah, I'm tempted to agree. If we want to set up a meeting, we should have a
specific purpose to the meeting other than just to say "hey, we're here!"
Perhaps if we want to set up a grandiose-type event and want their input, we
could get a meeting with them. Even then, I think we would have to build
ourselves up as a more proper organization before we will get a professional
response from them. In other words, we might have to expect turnout to be on
the order of 100 people or so (or larger). I doubt they'd have any interest in
small meetings of Lego fans, no matter how dedicated and fanatical they are.

In other words, we really have to give them a *reason* for listening to us-- we
have to do something nice for them (other than just buying their product :) )
To that end, there was something brought up at the Mindfest (Eric K brought it
up once in a post already) that one of the TLG reps talked to us about, as did
one of the mothers there. This was getting people (kids mostly) together to
have a forum, with emphasis on Mindstorms probably. I suggest this because we
already know that it's something TLG is looking for... AND they mentioned it to
us. If we present ourselves as a group that is willing to act on their
requests (and act somewhat promptly), I think they'll "like" us more, and
we'll have a greater likelihood of having our own requests granted in the
future. But for now, I don't really think that should be our goal. I think the
first and most important step is for TLG to see us, acknowledge us, and
actually WANT to help us.

However, for the time being (as in the next month or two), I don't think we're
strong enough to impliment an action that TLG would see as really beneficial.
But of course, I don't know. During the Mindfest, I know a number of people
took business cards and handouts-- if we get a lot of interest from there, we
could be growing stonger by leaps and bounds.

While I'm toying with the idea, here's my thought-- it's almost Christmas.
People are buying Christmas gifts around now. That means a lot of parents going
to the stores buying Lego. If we want to spark interest in such an activity, we
should act soon. Perhaps putting up flyers in toy stores (with their permission
obviously-- and I'd bet we could count on the Construction Site at least :) )
would be a good start, with intent to hold an event in January or February?

Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough-- this whole thing might be completely
infeasible anyway at the moment... Just some thoughts...

DaveE