 Organizations / United States / 264
Re: NELUG general purpose bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:05:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
Definitly interested yes but I think we need a more definitive idea of what
we are getting before we shell out $200 for the parts.  We should also decide
who is going to be "Keeper of the Bricks" before we do this so we don't end
up getting the bricks and then not having a home for them.

I can probably get a picture and more detailed description at some point in
the near future if we'd like... offhand I'd say ballpark 2000 pieces... This
is by NO means accurate... it was REALLY hard to get a good feel for quantity
since they're all still in their piece-bags and they filled a huge Lego bag
(the same size as the ones KL was giving out at the meeting, I believe) to the
point of almost not being able to fit a single piece-bag more... and add to
the fact that she's since sold some since I saw them originally... Anyway, if
we get sufficient interest, I can go down and actually get a much more
accurate piece count (and some pics of what pieces we'd be getting)

That would probably be good.

As for funding, I don't mind donating $50 or whatever to the cause-- but that
might be a lot more than most people want to donate, especially since it would
most likely be a meetings-only source of bricks (unless we want to offer
occasional replacement parts or something to donating members-- another step
towards defining membership towards that 'gold' brick :) )... But if a lot of
people are interested, I'm sure we could get up funding for it...

You can count on me for some.  Probably not $50 but something.  I actually
would much rather do this where 20 people gave $10 instead of 4 people giving
$50.  That way it really seems like more of a community thing.  (Of course that
is using your $200 example).  Besides we are really starting to get Big in
terms of members now so I think 1. A community LEGO pool is a good idea and 2.
I think the "community" should buy the bricks and not one or two members.

Really, I'm most interested in developing the idea of having them at this
point-- who would keep the bricks, bring them to meetings, what could we do
with them, etc... I guess in terms of a "brickmaster" it wouldn't have to be a
single person either, it could float to whoever was willing at the time.
Actually I kind of like having the idea of a communal pool-- sort of like a
fixed jambalaya box or something... [which is actually the reason I haven't
done any jambalaya to date-- I've got some extra stuff that I wouldn't mind
giving in trade for other parts, but they'd rarely be in the same category of
box... for example, I've got a bunch of wagon wheels, some old style trees,
and some other misc stuff that I'd exchange for specific minifig parts that
I'm in need of, but if I sign up for the minifig box, I'd just be taking
pieces out, and if I signed up for whatever box has wagon wheels, I'd just be
putting pieces in... this kind of makes it a more general and local
jambalaya...] Anyway, that's another thing that would be kind of nice to
have...

I love the idea of a NELUG Jambalaya myself.  It would help grow the community
LEGO pool while allowing members to find that one elusive part they need for a
project.  Of course I think there would have to be rules for participation but
that is easily defined.

Another idea Todd and Suzanne had was to do a Swap-meet type of deal at a
meeting where people brought bricks to trade with other members.  This would be
a great way to get rid of those bricks you have more that you could ever need
for bricks you need.

I know I have a bunch of stuff I could contribute to either a Swap-meet or a
community Jambalaya box.  This is definitly something I would like to talk more
about.

Of course some day when we have a NELUG clubhouse we will need to stock it with
bricks and this would be a great way to prepair for that day.  :-).  Even if it
is still more a dream or at least in our distant future.

Eric Kingsley,

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/