 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1085
Re: Trial Run - July 27th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:13:54 GMT

If it's David's school, as he proposed originally, it's in North Van.
Suppose I shouldn't post the actual address/location :-)

Probably not the best idea!  But at least somebody else besides David
knows how to get there.

I'll be bringing all my buildings, but since I leave on vacation immediately
after, someone else will need to take them away., store them, take them to
the show, bring them home afterwards, etc. They will take up a fair bit of
vehicle space.

I chatted with Alex about this tonight.  We'll arrange something so
that all of your Lego, tables, etc. are taken that night.  We're
beginning to arrange vehicles.  Can you give some estimation as to how
much room ALL of your stuff takes up (minus the rope barrier stuff -
see below)?  Could you get it all in your van in one trip?  Don't
forget your tables / doors.

What about the rope barrier? I have the rope and buckets ready here for
whoever has time to put the thing together. Don't forget if we use plumbing
pipe we'll need some kind of top cap on each post, can't have raw tube ends
sticking up, some small might put their eye out on it.

Alex and I were talking and we wondering if we can skip the barrier
this time.  I know, I know.  At the outset that makes me shudder too.
We've decided to do the skirting the same way as last time since we
won't have plexi.  I'm certainly of the mind to eventually get plexi,
(We need to find some sponsors!!), and if we do, the rope barrier will
no longer be required.  If there are at least 4 or 5 at the shows,
which is likely, perhaps we can keep an eye on things, as we did last
time.  I know, it's much bigger.  And no, I'm not forgetting the
problem of flying monorails (I keep picturing my newly finished
Hogwart's Express derailing along the north side of the layout and
careening off onto the floor ...).  There is one bonus.  This first
show is at the Richmond Inn, and I presume takes place in large,
carpeted conference room(s), so the potential damage will be lessened.

I know that everyone is quite swamped with the current slate of tasks,
so I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say on this matter.

I also thought we could perhaps put up a few conspicuous "Don't Touch"
signs (at or near eye level for kids and adults, NOT on the skirting).

Thoughts?

Robin

P.S.  We now have plenty of skirting for the entire layout, thanks to
Alex.

P.P.S.  Quick calculations on the cost of the rope barrier (minus the
cost of cement and rope).

     1 inch PVC =    ~ 30 cents a foot
     Top "caps" =     ~ 80 cents each (I had to buy two for the sign)
     22 posts needed =    66 feet (at 3 feet per post)

     Total PVC cost =    ~ $40 (with tax)