 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9709
9708  |  9710
Subject:
7470 Space Shuttle Discovery Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 04:41:47 GMT

7470
SYSTEM / Discovery / NASA
Space Shuttle Discovery

Ages 9+, 821 Pcs. (C)2003. 95 page manual: 1 models, 62+18 steps.

Price Range: $50 USD MSRP, paid $55 CAD plus taxes

RATINGS (Scale:  Must-Have  Excellent  Very-Good  Good  Fair  Poor)
Set: Must-Have  /  Models: Excellent  /  Playability: Unrated

DECALS?  Yes, Attractive, Covers Multiple Bricks.

SPECIAL FEATURES/COMPATIBILITY

None.

SET DESCRIPTION

7470 is a large Model Team like model of the Space Shuttle, specifically
the Discovery orbiter as configured for STS-31, the original deployment of
the Hubble Space Telescope in 1990.

The instructions and pieces are for single model, the shuttle itself,
also known as the OV (Orbiter Vehicle), built out of mostly white and
black bricks.   Inside the shuttle's cargo bay is a small replica of the
Hubble Space Telescope.

The set is over 800 pieces with the shuttle alone:  The model does NOT
contain the solid rocket booster or external tanks.  That probably would
have set the kit above 1500 pieces if those were included.

The box depicts the Shuttle in diffferent phases of launch, orbit and
recovery.

SPECIAL ELEMENTS

What's unusual about this is set is the large number of non-special
elements:  It's overwhelmingly basic bricks like 1xN, plates, slopes and
the like.

About the only new piece in this set, at least from my limited experience
are four white 'Brick 1 x 3 x 2 Curved Top' (33243) pieces, which follow
the same profile/curve as the 44 white arch pieces of the cargo bay.

Otherwise, the set is mostly pieces you've already seen before.  In this
day and age, finding a set with few surprises is unusual, especially for
me, as I'm always behind on knowing about new pieces.

IMPRESSION

The 2003 lineup from Lego has been absolutely spectacular for enthusiasts,
and hopefully for the real intended market as well.   Lots of great piece
selections, excellent models, bright colours, and unusually, some good
prices too.

Personally, this has been the first time in years there have been sets I
defintely wanted to get, instead of waiting to trawl the clearance bins
during sales.  They were the new yellow truck (4404) and this Space
Shuttle.

So it's with great anticipation I waited for this set.  Part of it was the
subject matter:  I think every kid wants to be an astronaut at some
point-I certainly did-and Canadians I think hold a certain kinship with
the Shuttle, perhaps because Canada's contributions to space are well
known.  We have our heroes like Marc Garneau and Julie Payette,
our technological achievements like the Canadarm RMS.  We live close
enough to the States to share their enthusiasm for space exploration too.

Offering a NASA line of highly identifable items like the Mars Rovers and
the Shuttle makes for cool models: They even took the risky choice of
offering items like Delta launch vehicles and Apollo era lunar
landers.    I hope kids like this line:  I think if I was still 9, I'd
probably like it.  I'm also hoping these models will inspire a generation
of engineers and scientists, though, I think that's going a little far.

Also unique was the inclusion of a small ten page booklet of facts about
the Space Shuttle.  For some reason, while the set is actually named
for the mission where they launched the Telescope, there isn't any mention
of what happened on STS-31 or anything about the Hubble Space
Telescope inside.  The booklet is a nice touch.

7470 is a nice set in almost every dimension.  First, it's a well designed
model.  It's easily identifiable, and it doesn't look cartoonish like the
Town Spaceport shuttles, nor does it look exploded and analytical, like
the 8480 Technic Shuttle.  The pieces are used very well, such as the
shape and profile of the wings, whose leading edge is built up using three
wing plates to give the impression of a curve.  The main engine assembly
at the back is also really well done, using Technic geometry to angle them
upwards.

The piece selection is excellent.  As noted above, there's a great
selection of basic pieces, which is a common feature of many Model Team
sets.

The set could be termed Model Team-like, but there's missing details,
perhaps due to the scale, which is somewhere about half-minifigure
scale.  The inside of the cargo bay is relatively barren, for example.

I decided not to put the stickers on my model, primarily because there
wasn't a Canada logo for the arm.  The little 1x1 trans orange dots for
the engine are kinda tacky, I left those off too.

For geeks, there will be nitpicking issues:  The shuttle wing is a
lot thicker in real life, so the main landing gear (which retracts with a
little spring loaded action through rubber bands) does poke through the
top of the wing surface.   The Canadarm is also woefully underrepresented,
as a simple appendage of new-style click joints.  This is a little
surprising, as the successes of the STS-31 and subsequent STS-61 missions
were primarily due to the Canadian robotic arm.    The use of click joints
for control surfaces make them look a little rough.

But these are minor concerns: The set overall is very well done and well
worth the money.

Set Rating
MUST-HAVE

As stated above, there's a lot of substance in the pieces involved, at 821
pieces, there's a lot of bricks.

Model Rating
EXCELLENT

The model is very well done.  Given its size, it manages to fit in several
key Shuttle features including retracting gear, a satellite to launch and
the arm, albeit somewhat simplistic.  There also positionable flight
surfaces too.

Playability Rating
N/A

I certainly sparks my imagination, but I'm not really the target audience
for the set.  I think there's lots of other items to build for this
model:  New satellites, the rest of the shuttle that you don't get, a
space station to visit etc.  It's a nice starting point for building.

Likes/Dislikes

I liked pretty well everything about this set.  About the only dislike I
have is that it's hard to get the telescope folded and back into the cargo
bay.  It's a little cramped in there.

Scale

Sub minifigure scale.  Probably would make sense around 1/2 or 1/3rd
minifigure scale.

Errors

No errors.

Extra Elements

2x black slopes
1x1 round dots, etc.

CONCLUSION

I would certainly buy the set again, and I think it would make a great
gift.  Highly recommended.

REVIEWER INFORMATION
Review Written: October 26, 2003
By: Calum Tsang, tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca
Age 26 Favorite Lines/Themes: Town/Trains/Boats/Technic

For Model Team and Technic, I collect Lego sets as separate models, while
for Town and others I buy primarily as elements for my own models.

COPYRIGHT

This review is Copyright 2003, by the author as named above.  The
author grants publication rights for all uses, public and private,
with the following exceptions: all information in the document must
be published in full; any for-profit use requires express written
permission by the author for publication in full or in part.