 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7480
Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 02:24:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Mark Riley wrote:

<snip>

It's not a bad thing.  But it does suck a lot of power even when the
motor is sitting there stopped.  It's called pulse stretching and
you can achieve something like 70% of full speed using an
unmodified train motor.  LDCC currently doesn't support this,
but I plan on implementing it, if for no other reason than the fun
of seeing it work.  One of the side effects is that it reduces the
bandwidth for DCC transmissions, so commands to other
locomotives experience some latency.  Probably not an issue
for small layouts, but I've heard that some clubs ban the use
of DC locos because it degrades performance for the other
users.

Cheers,

Mark

Well, after a few hours of "extensive tests"... I have come to the following
conclusion--

This is the greatest thing since LEGO came out with 9v trains and the RCX.

Forget the track cleaner ;), this is the cat's whiskers!

K, controlling each train separately is loads of fun, and loads of accidents if
you're not paying attention.

I set up a medium size layout in my livingroom and ran 3 trains.  At first the
longest train was having some difficulty--stalling out in the remote
corners--but after I added another track connection around that area, all 3
engines were going just fine.

By the way, having the light on the power out is a great thing--when I added the
other track connector, I thought the wiring was right, but the polarity was
reversed--the light let me know immediately.

This is great stuff!

I need a nappy--I'm exhausted

Dave K