 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5790
5789  |  5791
Subject:
Lego League Story...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:58:08 GMT

I have to tell a happy story.

I coach a First Lego League team.  Actually, we have one team that works together sharing ideas and building two robots.

If you don't know about the FLL, check this out: http://www.legoleague.org/   The goal is to build a robot to accomplish several pre-defined tasks.  Like clearing rocks off a soccer field, or delivering materials to the building site.

Well, we had one robot entered in a local tournament (all our ideas THROWN together, much like the week before rtlXX), and at the last minute, we decided to enter a second one.  I helped the kids build a "robot" with one motor, no sensors, and a big front bumper.  The drive wheels were on a single axle, so the robot would go straight pretty well, but had a hard time turning.  Ok, so there was no way it could turn!  Heck, it took less time to build than one of Chris' robots.

So, we showed up at the tournament with one robot that had an arm for lifting, a scoop for carring, differential drive tracks, and a ton of complex programming.  And the second K.I.S.S. robot that the kids nicknamed "Senseless".

Because this tournament was pretty early in the season, most of the teams were struggling with their robots.  Few worked as planned.  Including our primary robot.  But Senseless worked exactly like we planned.  Forward/Backward...  push the rocks, return to base.  Push the materials, return to base...

When the plastic dust settled, our primary robot finished sixth, while Senseless took second.  Not bad for a two day old robot that couldn't event turn.

It was an EXCELLENT demonstration of the KISS method.  And the kids could see it in action.  I just hope they understand what it means...

Steve