 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 18048
18047  |  18049
Subject:
new gear? - Column Gear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2011 16:55:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

After doing a bunch of sorting for/with Janey, I saw some boring non-technic
part.

Just some 2 x 2 round brick with ridges.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92947

After some thinking. (and yes you could smell the wood smoke)

I discovered this. (I'm sure other people have as well, but I'm posting it here)

The round bricks can be used as a gear.  The brick has a known axle hole, and
with the right spacing (brick, plate, brick) you mesh the two.

deep links to brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/GEAR/column_gear1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/GEAR/column_gear2.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/GEAR/column_gear3.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/GEAR/column_gear4.jpg

Sadly, I have not yet found a use for this, but any time I see something gear
related I try to keep it in the back of my mind.

I'm too lazy to count the teeth; and can not think of how to used this new fine
pitch without a smaller gear with the same pitch.

Hence forth, this part shall be called the "Column Gear" (1)

Regards

Chris
B.E.D.

1. Named by me after learning that the original use for the brick was some
boring architectural column stuff