 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17175
Re: Proposed Assembly Line Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:47:53 GMT

   Okay, there’s something off the bat I’m worried about, which is that you’ve built the track out of unobtanium, aka, monorail track. No one has any of it and it’s more expensive than goat horns or robot testicles. Can this run on 4.5V track or something?

Hahaha :)

The advantages of using the monorail track are that it’s very, very rigid laterally (like, it can really press into it without it deflecting at all) and simple to construct. It’s a wide, flat surface... the 4.5 V rails I fear will flex. :/ I hear you on the availability thing though.

I certainly have enough monorail track that I could “loan out” 2 beams to each person for their cell, or each person could mock up the rail by just making a wall 2-bricks high of 2x4’s interlocked together or whatever.

I’ll have 2 shuttles and a sensing system mocked up within a couple of days. The other big advantage of the monorail track is that since I want to switch to using a light sensor for slow-down and stop (vs. touch - I was having way too many problems getting the touch sensors to consistently activate), the light sensor can look down at the top of the beamway (on a bracket cantilevered off of the “whisker” wheel), it’s looking at a constant grey colour. Using the side mounting on the monorail beam, it’s easy to mount a black or white tile (I’m thinking 1x6 flat white for decel, 1x2 flat black for stop target).

This will mean though that each car needs 2 light sensors (one for collision detection, one for positioning) and they’re kinda sparce (only 1 in each RIS). I have 3 at home and 3 here at work, so I could make 3 cars, anyway.

I’m imagining that since the shuttles are getting larger and bulkier the overall scope of this thing is going to rise from many, many little 9V train shuttles zooming around every 2 seconds to a larger cadence, maybe 10-15 seconds or something. But even at that, 3 going around will look very exciting, I think!

If people use 48x48 baseplates, that works out well, because the monorail beams are 32 long, so 2x32=64, so that leaves a 16 dot gap between assembly stations for wires, overhangs, whatever.

   Is this method more accurate than the train motor for being in the same place every time for part placement?

Give me a day or two; once I get this one powered up and have a prototype loop set up to test stopping, I’ll post a video. here’s a clip of the 9V ones running around. It’s in the dark, because... yeah. :) Turning on the light futzed up the light readings for the proximtiy detection. Gotta work on that.

I’m still thinking that we’ll need some kind of pallet lift/locate to accurately lock in place at each stop, which would be on-board each shuttle.

-Iain