 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14995
Re: Rogers Digital Cable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:17:20 GMT

Rogers definitely has one you can rent or buy.  Early reports are it's
pretty good.  But you can't directly save anything off of it.  So I was
thinking if it was possible to build one for around the same price as
they sell theirs it might be worth the effort.

The Digital terminal does have a usb port on it, so it might be possible
to control.  I forget what they call them in USB terms, but it's the
"computer" end, not the "accessory" end.

My guess is no...

http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php/topic,2173.msg15904.html

I was thinking more along the lines of, does someone make a digital
terminal card for a pc?  My guess is things aren't standardized enough
for there to be one, but it might be possible.

I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but digital cable is both encrypted and
often proprietary.  So my guess is, there may be some unencrypted receivers out
there, but who knows if they'll work.

There is a standard called CableCard which allows proprietary  digital cable
tuning in a small modular format to be plugged into a digital TV set.  In theory
they could use this to provide access to digital TV on a PC.  But I don't know
if there's a PCI carrier and software for a PC to use CableCard and AFAIK there
is no CableCard service provider in Canada anyways.

Calum