 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14165
Re: Very Rare Canadian Only Plates?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:38:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Phil Traviss wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
P.S.  Waffle bottom plates exist in quantity in USA/Canada in sizes 2x8, 4x8,
4x8 curved, and 6x8.  But the smaller sizes are the unknowns!

You know, I don't think I've ever seen such a plate, but that's likely because I
haven't seen waffle plates in general.  What's worse (okay, start your
cringing)...I throw them out when I get them--they're usually really grimey and
in bad condition. (yikes!)

Calum

Nothing to cringe about.  They do seem to get funky quite often.  I have more of
those white waffle bottom plates in a puke yellow hue than I care to count.
There is one thing that I am going to do with some some of my better waffle
bottom plates, and that is to use a SNOT technique that shows them as exterior
building panels in an interesting geometric design.

Also I would think that nice condition 4x8 right curve and 4x8 left curve plates
have somewhat of a premium value.  They are the only curved plates that don't
have that notch of missing plastic on the curve (like the macaroni bricks).

The reason that these 2x4 (or other small sizes) waffle bottom plates MIGHT
exist is because it appears that in 1962 TLG switched over to circle bottom
plates, which use up 1/3 less plastic than the waffle bottom plates (a 6x8
waffle bottom plate weights 12 grams, a 6x8 circle bottom plate weighs 9 grams).
And in doing so, most European sets switched over very quickly as well.

BUT in USA/Canada the waffle bottom plates were seen in sets as late as 1972.
Samsonite would not be commissioning new waffle bottom molds if they use up more
plastic.  They must have used the old molds that were leftovers from Europe.
And since TLG started sales of small plates in 1962, it is possible that some
waffle bottom molds in these small sizes may have existed, but never used in
Europe (only in Canada).

Maybe I should make it more appealling and up the ante (not that there was an
ante to begin with)..... but I'll pay $5 (plus shipping) for a 2x4 waffle bottom
plate in decent condition.  It goes to $10 if it is in a color besides white!
But someone has to find one (thereby proving its' existence) first!

Gary Istok

I have studied the advert again closely, and am of the opinion that this piece
does not exist. I think it's a printer's creative mistake, done just to improve
the composition of the graphics (and to confuse historians in the future ;-). a)
The right-hand end of the part does not look to have the bottom rim correct. b)
If you look at the similar-looking part at the bottom of the cluster of bricks,
the 2x4 looks like a cut and paste (ie literally in those days) of left-hand end
of that 2x8. They couldn't copy any more, because there's a brick in the way. Do
you see what I'm getting at?

Regards,

Phil in Yorkshire

Thanks Phil! (I sent him an email and asked him to check this thread out.)  I
was hoping that there would be a new (old) "undiscovered" Lego part.  But what
you say makes sense.  The photo does look somewhat awkward in that regard.  But
how do you explain all the 1x1 waffle bottom plates I have in my
collection?..... (just kidding, all 1x1 plates are in a sense waffle bottom!!!
:-p No room for circle bottoms on those plates!).

Phil Traviss is a wealth of knowledge about British Lego.  I have picked his
brain in the past (and present) about Lego in Britain.  Much of my knowledge of
rare British Lego comes from Phil!

Thanks Phil!

Gary Istok