 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12279
Re: rtlToronto18 - new plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:48:05 GMT

Ok, I came up with a loophole over lunch.  Here's a slightly new plan:

1) Fabulousi sequence for stacked blocks OF THE CORRECT COLOuR
2) +1 for blocks at home of correct coloUr
3) -1 for blocks at home of wrong coloUr

See below...

As for the scoring issue--lets see if I got this right--

Dave against Steve--

Dave's bot makes a stack of 5 blocks somewhere in the field

Steve pushes 12 right coloured blocks onto his starting square

Dave gets total of 8

Steve gets 12

K, and if Dave's tower had 4 right colours--12

And if Dave's tower is on his home square--15 (12 + 4 (right colour) - 1 (wrong
colour))

Eh, I'm okay with non-stacked blocks on the home square.

New score: Dave=5 (stack of 4) + 3 (home score of 4-1) = 8

Of course, Dave still has plenty of time to build another stack...

So the formula for scoring--

Fabulousi sequence for stacked blocks

Plus

1 for each correct colour in tower

Plus

1 for each correct colour on starting square

Minus

1 for each incorrect colour on starting square

At lunch, I realized if the fabulous tower scoring is applied to ALL blocks in a
tower, it will work out better if I don't bother sorting.

I think this is a sticky point between allowing beginners to stack without
sorting and stopping "experts" from digging for loopholes.

As an expert loophole digger, using the current rules, my plan will be to grab
all the blocks I can get, and stack them.  My score will end up higher than if I
grab all the blocks I can get, sort & discard the bad ones, and stack what's
left.

The only way I see to avoid that is to make the wrong color blocks worthless to
me.  (or a small penilty)

So, in order for someone who's not sorting to score as well as someone who is,
their tower will need to be twice as tall.

That means someone just sorting could do better than someone who's just
stacking.  But still the robots that sort and stack will do the best.

I think I'm done, now
Steve