 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11335
Re: BFDC2004 Robotics contest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 03:59:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Calum and gang:

Are you guys going to have something like you had last year at BF?  I really
enjoy the ingenuity in both the contests you guys come up with AND the
entries from the people who compete in these contests!  I'm hoping you guys
can come up with some great rules this year so Hassenplug can't find a loop
hole (although, that's half the fun)!

I'm not really sure.  John Barnes asked about it too, but we were pretty noncommittal.  I wasn't really planning to do a new contest, unless people REALLY wanted one.   I guess we could try doing rope climbers or something there.  This time all we'd need to do was bring rope.  (I think JohnG and JeffVW are still smarting over the plastic pipe debacle)  It's hard to do an all new contest, but then for the same reasons as it's easier administratively to do an existing contest, it's also less fair for those who aren't from Toronto.

I also wouldn't mind trying a contest which is different, something we wouldn't
normally do in Toronto.  There's a pile of contests we've wanted to do for a
LONG time, that no one wants to try, mainly because they're mostly show and tell
type projects.

-Vending Machines.  This was one Chris and I were always eager on.  Build a
machine that dispensed SOMETHING.  We tried to link it to charity (all the
proceeds went to a local hospital or something) or to competition (person who
sells the most, profits the most etc, wins) but no one ever wanted to do it.  I
notice one of the most popular items at BF every year is the Suzanne Rich
Gumball Machine.

-Mosaic Assemblers.  This to me is probably the most difficult project I've ever
thought about.    The idea is to build a robot that can assemble a 48x48 3443
Mosaic given a bitmap of values.

-Paper Folders.  Fold 8.5x11" letter paper and stuff it into an envelope.  Your
machine also has to apply for temporary summer work afterwards too.

-Duck Assemblers.  Assemble a small creation (a duck, a small car) out of Lego
pieces in an assembly line.

-Friendship Bracelet Weavers.  Iain Hendry had a plan to build a weaving
machine, which would make narrow segments of fabric (ie, Friendship bracelets).
I don't think he ever finished it though.

-Drawing Machines.  A long time ago, I suggested a contest where you covered the
floor in paper, and were given a sharpie.  The rest was up to you and the crowd
judged who won, if any.

-Capacitor Cars.  This one I tried to get people in our group to attempt-build a
machine that was only powered by a fully charged Dacta capacitor (ie, no wound
rubberbands, airtanks etc) and see how far you could make it go.  No
restrictions except for all Lego parts and normal construction.  This might be a
fun one for the kicks and giggles.

Calum
PS- I'm not even touching the part about Steve.  Needless to say, Steve brings
excellent technical work and always displays a great show of effort. :)