 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 588
587  |  589
Subject:
Beauty
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:27:29 GMT

It's been ruminating in the back of my mind for years--nay, decades...

It bubbles to the forefront every so often but I didn't get the perfect vibe to
write it down with clarity.

However, whilst trying to find a completely different quotation, I stumbled
across this--

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not
beautiful, I know it is wrong."
-Richard Buckminster Fuller

What's more, it's perfect.

Specifically related to our chosen hobby, there have been so many instances when
I'm building a robot, or something for the CSL, where there's a problem, I work
on a solution to that problem, and I get a result.  Then I look at the result
and it's 'less than perfect', or, rather, knowing that I've never made a perfect
creation yet, that there's something that just doesn't 'sit' right with me.

So I work on it some more, and more, and (if the missus will allow), work on it
even more, until I get to the point where, 'Hey, that looks right!' and it
usually, at least to me, has some sort of intrinsic beauty to it.

I didn't know the space station I started back in 2009 was going to look like it
does today.  I just knew that it never looked finished.  Much like my robot
builds of yore, I had no idea at the outset what the final product was going to
be.  However, once (and again, this is in a 'general' sense because, as many of
my friends and family will attest, I'm never done tweaking the thing...) it got
to where it is now, I was happy.

Of course, tweaking can take me in different directions, which I also love.
Really, that's what makes this hobby of ours so utterly awesome--things built
can stand on their own, and things built an always be added to/improved upon
'relatively' easily.

Not too many 'spare time wasters' have that going for them.  The extremely wide
range of builds and talents of everyone in the hobby, from young to old, can't,
in my humble opinion, be touched by, well, any other hobby.  The accessibility
to everyone, the ease of modifying and rebuilding, the ability to bring a few,
or many together, or even work on your won...  This hobby can bring out math
skills, engineering skills, science skills, artist skills, and, most of the
time, all these skills plus more combined ...

I look through my lego picture feeds and I'm awed by the smallest, to the
largest creations.  I'm enjoying my time with my 6 year old sitting in my lap
when I'm at the lego table, throwing random parts together and holding the
creation up and saying 'look what I made, daddy!' and it's way cooler than
anything I would have made with the dame parts.

I'm extremely happy with the friends I made through this hobby, and I love
hanging out at our shows.

Another quotation I just found--

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it."
-Charles Buxton

As I get older, I'm finding that time is becoming more important to me than
money.  I never seem to have enough time to come up with solutions that are
beautiful, therefore complete

Dave K