 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 555
554  |  556
Subject:
I built something...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 14:51:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

And it is big...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky1701/sets/72157635672708083/

I built it for Shiptember.

I really haven't built anything for a 'competition' since rtl stopped having
robot competitions many moons ago...

I had thought of building something at a larger scale that would complement my
space station, and the impetus to do so was the Shiptember build.

This build was ruminating in the back of my mind for years, and one of the
contributing inspirations was this--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/7694437706/

The only big difference between what I originally imagined and the final build
that you see, is that my first thought was a fully enclosed repair bay under the
landing pads holding the 928's.  Two things stopped that from happening--I
couldn't make the ship strong enough to 'swoosh' and couldn't quite figure out
how to make it work in such a confined space.

I think adding the interior shuttle bays, a la 'battlestar galactica' was a good
last-minute fill-in for that space.

Another original idea was to make these huge, complicated engines at the back.
Realizing that I can't build that way was depressing, and I did what I always
do--fill in with something that looks fine.

Anyway, thought I would post here 'cause LUGNET is a little bit of a ghost town
lately and I wanted to bring something to the table.

This ship is by no means done yet--I will probably do a complete rebuild--adding
the interior details that I mostly left out just to get it done for Shiptember.

As a tangent, I was shocked--Shocked, I say--when Jeff told us he was running
low on basic bricks--how could that possibly happen to people who have amassed
such large collections over the years.  However, I have used up most of the
following--

1 x 2 blue plates, 2 x 2 blue plates, 1 x 8 blue bricks, 2 x 22 blue inverted
slopes, and a slew of other items...

THe good bit is that I don't have to sort these now :)

If it stays together, it'll be at BrickFete 2014.

Dave K