 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 269
Re: POC - Classic Space Engineering Bay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:18:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.ca.obb, David Koudys wrote:

   You can’t tell but I’m touching the side of my nose...

The plan is (subject to change without notice) (and I wont’ be giving too many surprises away ‘cause, really, who actually reads this stuff besides you and I? :) )

LOL OMG the other day LUGNET had only 1 post! That’s sad:-(

   in one of the corners of the OBB CSL is to build a ‘quarter crater’ using BURPS, LURPS and other light gray pieces that’ll be at least 12 bricks high at the perimeter of the crater...

And situated under the crater is this. Set up in a way that you can see into the engineering bay (all lit up--wonder where i got that I dea from...)

After I get this lifting mechanism flawless, I’ll start working on the opening top, a la James Bond Volcano Secret Base thing from (i ferget which one--“diamonds are forever” me thinks)

When the doors are closed, I don’t want any sign on the top of the crater that there’s an engineering bay underneath.

The trick was to set up the lifting mechanism in as short a height as possible so I don’t have to make the crater super tall. the platform itself rests on tiles that are 2 bricks above the baseplate and lifts up to a full 15 studs above the baseplate. I figured that’ll give me at lease a brick and a few plates to fit a sliding door opening mechanism above the space ship as it is when the platform is down. Worst comes to worst, I remove the antenna--that’ll give me at least another brick of clearance.

Pics and vids posted as I build. For now, there’s still a few kinks in the lifting mechanism--the clutch gear doesn’t offer enough torque at the rack to provide lift if it’s a little stuck. The problem is, if I move the torque gear farther back in the gear chain, then there’s too much torque when things really get stuck and something pops or breaks. LI love the sound of gear grinding in the morning...

THanks for the interest!

Dude, that’s sounds awesome! I will wait for the updates with bated breath!

JOHN