 Organizations / Canada / NovaLUG / 28
Re: Show Report - NovaLUG at 2 day show in Dartmouth Nova Scotia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.novalug
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:38:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gail Meagher wrote:

Of particular note was the kid handling skills of one of our guests, a school teacher. Some of the kids pushed the loose rope barrier right up against the layout, and started reaching for things. Wanda spoke to them Wanda: “Have you ever built anything really cool out of LEGO?” kids, excitedly: “Yes!” Wanda: “Has you sister ever played with it and wrecked it?” kids, dejectedly: “Yes.” Wanda: “And how did that make you feel?” kids quickly scamper back from layout. A brilliant way of dealing with kids we welcome others to use.

We were well received by the public and the other model railroaders at the show even though some of them don’t really consider us as a “serious” modelling effort. We made a point of visiting their layouts and making good comments about them. After reading all the ILTCO comments about reaching out to other layouts at shows, Gail decided to make the rounds during setup and tear down offering home-made squares. They seemed to go over well, and she got to meet many of the other modelers. In particular, we noticed the spiffy shirts some of the groups had with their name and logo. Considering that the clothing choices of one of our members had us considering wearing welder’s goggles ( http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1001799 bad photo, much brighter in person) it may be awhile before we can agree on shirts for ourselves :). We have been invited back again for next years show. We are also slated to appear at several new shows in the next year. It is becoming realized locally that we are a very good draw for any hobby show. Some visitors indicated that they came only to see the LEGO display.

Ours was a successful display as indicated by the fact that the children usually had to be hauled away by their parents while they were kicking and screaming that they wanted to stay. It was also fun to listen to the reactions of adults as they entered the small room we took up half of. It’s great to be appreciated.

Below are links that will take you to the member’s Brickshelf galleries for more pictures: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=106215

...so that’s why all LEGO polar bears have that goofy relieved expression. Mine’s apparently missing a critical piece: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1005347

George Chapman Gail Meagher

Nice job, gang! Sounds like a real team effort, not only in building aspects, but crowd control, community relations, etc.

Always a good sign when kids have to be dragged away from your layout!

Cheers,

Ed

LUCNY