 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 623
622  |  624
Subject:
Passenger Train Consists (was: Re: brick/plate height ruler...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:15:26 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
You want a 25-car Metroliner?  I can do that ;-)

I've just been playing around with designs for various cars.  I have enough
Metroliners, I just need to figure out HOW MANY of each car to make.  I need to
build a mail car, 2-3 Club Cars, a ton of regular passenger cars, then figure
out what ELSE to build.

Here is a typical(1) consist for a 15 or so car train from the heavyweight
era that I just made up, but which ought to be fairly representative.
Starting from the front:

-baggage
-baggage
-Railway Post Office
-Dormitory
-Coach
-Coach
-Coach
-Kitchen/Diner
-Diner
-Coach
-Coach
-Dome
-Dome/Snack
-Coach
-Coach
-Observation

That's for a short haul scenicly routed train. For long haul you need a lot
less coaches, replace them with sleepers. Leave one coach for the economy
class travelers

Sleepers vary all over the map, and I can't recite configs but the variation
is due to the size of the bedrooms.

Roomettes are the smallest, there typically are two sizes of bedrooms, and
then parlors are the largest. So you might have a 20 roomette, or a 10-5-5
meaning 10 roomettes and 5 each of the two bedroom sizes, or a 6-6 meaning
6 of the larger bedrooms and 6 parlors.

I just happened to be surfing looking for some Hiawatha info the other night, and
came up with this URL:
http://www.geocities.com/skytop45/olympian/OlympianHi1.html
Somebody has scanned an original, full brochure on the Milwaukee Road's Olympian
Hiawatha-- what a cool primary resource:-)

-John

Amtrak era, things get simpler. Shorthaul are just coaches and snack or
diners, no observations, longhaul you cut down on the variety of bedrooms...

1 - there is no such thing as typical.

++Lar