 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 201
200  |  202
Subject:
Plans for next NALUG layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:52:16 GMT

Hello Guys,
While I was still hyped up from our show, I have been sketching a tentative
layout for next year.  If you have Matt Bates track designer, email me for the
file, Chris will probably be dependent on someone posting it to brickshelf, way
beyond my meager computing skills.
The needs were two independent, but connected loops.  Room in the port for the
unloading cranes, and boats.  Atleast two bridges, monorail and train.  And a
nice monorail route, only partway through the layout, which clears any 8 wide
trains.  I think I have succeeded in most of this.  Not all the train track is
layed down yet.
The monorail starts as a loop at ground level at the top right of the layout,
climbs to one pilon height, crosses the bridge, then climbs another pilon,
before crossing over train track, then turns down, once over more train track,
down to one pilon, where another station is located, (next to the regular train
station), then up one pilon to two pilon height, to clear more train track, to
the final loop in the bottom left corner, where we can reuse our previous 2
story monorail station.  This brings the Lego citizens from downtown, to the
train station, to the stadium.  If we don't have time to MOC, I can use the
stations from the airport shuttle.
The top left of the layout is industrial, with the Octan yard, and another to
be determined yard.  The central upper is the port, with cranes and boats.  The
upper right is the downtown, so far it only has the monorail terminal.  The
left side will be the train station, another monorail station, maybe a post
office, and if nothing else comes up the pizza to go.  The bottom left is the
last monorail station, with one set of bleachers, looking outwards onto a
nonexistant field.  The bottom and right side are pretty well free to be
designed, looking for any and all suggestions, need to incorporate the
switching yard for the intermodals, and the mountain, possibly my roundhouse.
The more I think about it the more I think the muntain should be
rebuilt.  If we have it in a curve, the clearance required will be
outrageous, so I think a mountain built on two of the large grey plates
with a straight length of track would probably be better.  One side could have
a waterfall, the other side maybe a lean to to protect the other length of
track on that table from avalanches.
Let me know what you think, and I'll send you the file as soon as you ask for
it, if Steve or James have the time to make it readable for Chris, that would
be appreciated.
Michel