 Organizations / 680
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:12:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Gray wrote:
"Jacob Sparre Andersen" <sparre@nbi.dk> writes:

Basically (and possibly not quite correctly) it is a content
management system with access control lists designed(?)
primarily for use in the LEGO fan community.  But since it
isn't up and running in a usable state yet, don't trust my
words too much.

That sounds like mostly server-side stuff. Have you figured out
yet what you are going to require from clients (users)? The
reason I ask is that I'm an old-fashioned soul, and am unlikely
to use discussion groups that are not NNTP-reachable, and am
unlikely to visit web pages that require Javascript. (And yes,
the LEGO.COM pages bug me because of that, and I typically end
up visiting the site only a few times per year.)

I think any standards compliant browser should work for the website, oh, and IE.
We do want to implement an NNTP interface as well as an SMTP, for as much
content as possible.

My personal philosophy is that javascript can be used only to enhance, but
should never be required.  Many options should be made available to the users,
but none should forced on them.  I often use text based browsers, and as you
said, consider myself to be an "old fasioned soul".

The site (or any site, really) should lend itself to power-users as well as to
newbies.  If you want to customize the way the site works for them, they should
be able to.  If someone doesn't want to bother with it, the site should have
some intelligent defaults.

Dan