 Organizations / 498
Re: Roberson Toy Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.org, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:54:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, John Rudy writes:
Nothing like replying to my own message, but...
On:
http://www.greatamericantrainshow.com/exhibitor/2003/layout/index.htm

Can anyone tell us what...
"Is Your Display For Contest or Guarantee? (Required)

"All displays entered for a guarantee will be put on a waiting list until
the floor plan is completed 30 days prior to the show date.

"All displays entered for a contest will be confirmed in the order of the
date received until the show sells out, starting 60 days prior to the show.
Contest applicants on the waiting list will be given priority as show space
becomes available.

"If your display is a guarantee, please enter a guarantee amount in the box
below."

It's greek to me..Ed do you know...
Can any of the other clubs help?

Best to post this to trains.org as that's where the other train clubs cross
post stuff.

Succinctly:

If you go for contest, you are competing for a prize with/against the other
layouts that selected contest as their choice. The rules and guidelines are
murky but the contest is supposedly driven by ballot. There are 4 places but
"tied for 3rd" seems to be a fairly common outcome. I think 400,300,200,100
as the prizes.

If you go for guarantee, you're not competing. Instead, you get a fixed
amount, which is what you are asking for.

As it says, GATS favors contest layouts. The reasons why they do, I will
leave as an exercise to readers, but they prefer contest layouts and
supposedly will give them preference in deciding if they get space or not.

If you are trying to decide what to choose, I would advise contest for the
first 2 or so GATS shows till you have a track record with them. At that
point you can start asking for guarantee.

And if you start actively participating in more train shows, nominate two
ILTCO reps and get on the ILTCO email list.

Hope that helps

XFUT trains.org

++Lar