 Off-Topic / Geek / 5222
Re: Taking shortcuts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:50:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Tore Eriksson wrote:

My first PC had no hard drives, just two 360 kb floppy drives. One
for the OS and the other for applications and documents. My second PC
had a 10 Mb hard drive that took the physical space of two 5 1/4"
drives. The Michelangelo virus took its real-time clock app...

But that was a long time ago :-)

Nowadays we *do* have an awful lot of disk space, and don't really have to
squeeze the files.

OTOH, every 'unnecessary' byte to read will take time, again and again while
rendering, unless the rendering program is compiling the .dat file into some
internal representation at the first read.

OTTH, I believe all the programs do this, the original LDRAW.EXE being the
exception (possibly, I don't have the source).

So, I would view overlap as an error.

I'm not worried about disk space so much as I am worried about render/move/edit
time. Unnecessary polygons, even after being read in and converted into internal
models, take time to process. I think you can see the difference in POVray
render times, for example... even if the part was compact on disk because it
uses nested submodels, it might blow out to a lot of polygons that need
clipping/raytracing/texturemapping and thus slow down render time.

So:
* Things that cause artifacts - very bad
* Things that add polygons that don't add to the image quality - bad
* Things that add polygons that do add quality - it depends, probably good
(especially if you can turn them off for fast renders when doing tests)

IMHO anyway. YMMV

(is this FUT right? shouldn't this be in CAD somewhere. moved it to lugnet.cat)