 Off-Topic / Geek / 5125
Re: The God Game!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:13:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

I'm making the point that atheism is as much of a leap of (not)faith as
religion is a leap of faith.

I don't want to start a whole big thing here, but I'd take issue with that
statement as being too broad and non-specific.

One form of atheism--the belief that God does not exist--may require a leap
of faith, but that's not the only form.  I, for example, do not believe that
God exists, and a lack of belief requires no faith at all.

This has been discussed here previously, of course, and I'd be happy to point
you to an earlier articulation of my view if you'd care to read it.

Dave!

To sum earlier discussion--

Dave! does not believe that the following equations are equal--

1 + (-1) = 0
(-1) + 1 = 0

;)

Dave K

Depending on how you define your operators they may not be. If I define the
operator +(a,b) to be what we would conventionally term +(a,2b) and define (-1)
as that number which ensures that +(1,(-1))=0 (ie (-1)=-1/2) then the two
equations are not equal or at the least the second is not true.

And of course that is ignoring the fact that the common use of language is
inherently fuzzy. "I won't say you're not wrong" is not quite the same as "I say
you're wrong".

Tim