 Off-Topic / Geek / 5049
5048  |  5050
Subject:
AFOL Web Developers! (was Re: LEGO Developer's Guild)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:32:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Ok, I promise I'm not trying to win the prize for the oldest thread resurrected
:)

But when we were at Brickfest a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that many of the
conversations that I was involved with were about code, and websites, and how to
make the two work better.  Now, I admit, I am a huge geek, but it did seem to
indicate there's a need for the AFOL webmaster to be able to talk to each other,
ask for advice, etc.

So what I'm proposing isn't anything as grand as a guild - just a mailing list,
where anyone can subscribe to, and talk about techie stuff.  SQL, perl, PHP,
Apache, TCP/IP sockets, caching, performance, and really - anything that we all
need to deal with.

The list is designed to be fairly focused though.  So while everyone can
subscribe and post, all members will be moderated at first.  To become
un-moderated, you just need to post an email saying which site you run, and a
little bit of what you do on it (think of it as an introduction).  Seeing that,
I will remove the moderation bit for you.

Moderated members could still post, of course, and I will approve anything
that's remotely on-topic for the list.  The "introduction" will just make things
easier (both on the posters and on me!).

So without any more rambles, here's the info: