 Off-Topic / Geek / 3929
Re: How to maximize 90-piece bags?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:21:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:
Some quibbles with your math:

- Your math assumes no shipping cost for the hypothetical 1x1 plate
packs
- If you factor shipping into the cost, you should assume all individual
items are purchased at once
- I wonder how many brick separators people ever buy? I've got way more
than I need.

I think Todd's calculation is much more fair, but no matter how you
slice or dice it, the mosaic is a very good deal and a great way to get
a large supply of 1x1 plates.

Frank

Ah, yes -- thank you very much Frank!  So now...assuming all the
"accesories" besides the 1x1's are purchased together, and the hypothetical
1x1 plate pack is purchased with shipping costs, and there are no other
variables I left out, we should add..

$9.99 x-large baseplate
$7.99 100 black slope pack
$1.69 brick separator (yes, no one actually buys them from lego...I came
across 10 once in a single garage sale find!)

....which adds up to $19.67 .  since this is still under $20, the  *cheap*
$2.95 shipping will be thrown in as well!

This brings us to a total of (I hope is correct) $22.62 for the items that
are included in the Mosaic kits besides the 1x1 plates.  If we subtract that
from the $34.94 (which includes 4.95 shipping) mosaic kit, we obtain...

$12.32 for the hypothetical "2340 (maximum) 1x1 plates pack".  But this
would also include shipping, so hypothetically speaking with $2.95 shipping
it would be $15.27 total for the 1x1's.

This is approximately 2.37 times the $6.42 which I originally calculated,
bringing each 1x1 plate to an exact....

$0.0065256410repeating per piece.  In lay man's terms, roughly **a little
more than half a cent per piece**

Now, unless I thoroughly messed up here, or just forgot another variable or
two (Thanks Frank!) the above statement should be true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please ;)

Thanks!
Jake