 Off-Topic / Geek / 2313
Re: How to maximize 90-piece bags?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 00:32:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
  369 Black => 5 bags of 90 Black
  369 DGray => 5 bags of 90 DGray
  369 MGray => 5 bags of 90 MGray
  369 LGray => 5 bags of 90 LGray
  460 White => 6 bags of 90 White

I believe this is an optimal solution (proof left as an exercise to the
reader) with sufficient padding to ensure a total of 26 bags of 90 elements,
for a total of 2340 elements, whether the threshold is 88->90 or 89->91 or
90->92.  This gives approximately 10% padding on each color in the worst • case
scenario of 90->92.

Sounds like they've set themselves up to give a pretty good bargain since a
best case (for TLC) would be only 22 bags, so being able to get 26 bags is
getting an extra 18.2% (or a 15% discount). Of course they may budget the
thing for 25 bags (and may actually always give you at least 25 bags), in
which case we'll get an extra 4%.

Of course a smart mosaic generator could pretty easily make sure you only ever
get 25 bags. In your "optimal" example, assuming that they do go for perfect
use of the 90 plates in a bag, the program only has to recolor 9 or 10 pixels
to drop you to 25 bags. At a threshold of 88 per bag, it only has to recolor
19 or 22 pixels.

They especially can't recolor since they allow you to print out instructions
before you order.

How could they justify eliminating my 1 pixel of each of the regular colors
from my image?  (not to say they can't do whatever they like)

-Jon