 Off-Topic / Geek / 2310
Re: How to maximize 90-piece bags?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 00:23:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:
Of course a smart mosaic generator could pretty easily make sure you only
ever get 25 bags. In your "optimal" example, assuming that they do go for
perfect use of the 90 plates in a bag, the program only has to recolor 9
or 10 pixels to drop you to 25 bags. At a threshold of 88 per bag, it only
has to recolor 19 or 22 pixels.

But it can't recolor your pixels if you do high-contrast banding -- i.e., a
band of black, a band of medium gray, a band of white, a band of dark gray,
and finally a band of light gray.  I think it can only (fairly) do color
substitutions when it's using a dither that hops between low-contrast color
states.  But the LEGO Brick-o-Later lets you go in and specifically fine tune
the image anyway -- so you really get the final say no matter what it does.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it looked.)

--Todd