 Off-Topic / Fun / 9041
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:39:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Musil writes:

I guess this begs the question.  Did you buy them to enjoy them or to make
money from them?  I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you bought them
for yourself, to build and enjoy, then I think it's fantastic that you've
opened them.  I think this *increases* the value... for you.  And I think
that's the most important thing.

I got the call and... *sigh*... it's a losing battle....

I must be missing some inside joke.  Anyone care to fill me in?

Mags really should get the pleasure of doing that. But as a hint, look up
what "beg the question" means. :-)

I did.  I'm still comfortable using it in the way in which I did.  It's not
unlike the expression "lowest common denominator".  If people knew what
those words really signify they'd not use them the way they most often do.
But most people use both of these expressions in everyday language and they
are accepted, by and large, for what they have come to represent.  For once
I'm sticking with the majority.  :)

Or just do a search in o-t.fun for the
phrase (using the web interface)...

I gave it a go, but didn't see anything by Maggie in the first several pages
of search results.  Though I did see several by you and me both Larry.  :)

This train/engine/locomotive (take your pick)

As discussed (but apparently not enough to sink in yet) "train" is not a
valid choice. :-)

That list was specifically for you Larry... just to show I was paying
attention.  I then set the follow-up to off-topic because I knew that it had
nothing to do with 'trains'.  :)

By the way, I do agree with you on this one, but then again it's common
usage for some people, and some people can be tough to change.

At the original list price, of course.  ;)

I'm a stickler for wanting to buy straight from the company (or their
authorized agents) whenever possible.  Nothing against those who buy LEGO
off eBay (I've done it.... once) or other private sites, but it's just not
for me.

There is no way you'll *ever* get even a *used* Airport Shuttle from me at
list price.

Don't worry, I'll never ask.  :)

I don't find that set to be particularly appealing.

I think it's foolish to pay over list for something *while it is
in production* but once it's scarce, you either pay market rates or you go
without. I'm OK with that. I'm OK with it not being worth more than list to
you, as long as you don't think you have a right to have it anyway.

Once again, just let me say that the reason I am rallying against limited
production runs for this set is that I think it's an incredible piece of
LEGO modelling... even if it is a locomotive.  I think it speaks well of the
company and of those within the company who designed it.  Unless it's
replaced by a similarly great set, it will be a dark day for LEGO when this
set is retired.  This set should be reason enough to throw the 3 year cycle
theory out the window.

There is no overwhelming reason this set needs to be unavailable to anyone
for many years to come.  This, therefore, helps shut down folks who
speculate on the future value of such things.  Just my feelings... again, I
know this is far and away NOT the most popular opinion but I'm sticking to it.

All the best,
Allan B.