 Off-Topic / Fun / 746
745  |  747
Subject:
Shroedinger and the coffee constant (was RE: something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:20:08 GMT

Mark de Kock writes:
James Brown writes/wrote/has writen:
Mark de Kock writes:

So...if we put YOU in this box and a cup of coffee, there is no way we can
tell wether you drank the coffee or not? [11]

As far as I understand the box thing, while the state of things inside the • box
is not determined, we may assume that universal constants will apply.  So it
can be taken as read that I will drink the coffee. ;)

But now you just _asume_ you will drink the coffee. What if in the dark you
can not find the cup or you spill the coffee? There are lots of possibilities
possible in which you will not drink it (the nervegas will get to you before
the coffee does, you suffer from claustrophobia and panic, knokking over the
cup, you start to halusinate about TLG decreasing the JR-line[x], etc.)

It's not that I _don't_want_you to drink the coffee, it's just that everyone I
know thinks I'm too filosofical for my own good.

Ah, but it's not an assumption, except in the very extreme view that all
theories are assumptions.  Based on extensive empirical research, it has been
determined that when a cup of coffee and I are placed in the same enclosed area
(studies have been done in areas up to and including large cafeteria's), I will
drink the coffee.  There are a few strictly delineated exceptions to this rule,
but since none of those exceptions were stated at the beginning of your
original hypothesis, then it is assumed they do not apply.
Therefore, it can be stated that, baring exceptions, when James & coffee are in
the same confined space, James will drink the coffee.  This shall be considered
a universal constant(1).
The Schroedinger paradox neither states nor implies that universal constants do
not apply within the box, and as such, James drinks the coffee.

Note: To those of you outside the box, who are unable to directly observe
events within it, the coffee is in a constant state of being drunk(2), as it is
an event which occurs over time, and until the box is opened, you can not
determine whether or not I have finished the coffee.

James
tongue FIRMLY in cheek.(3)

1: In _my_ universe, anyway.  I don't know about yours.

2: which, I am told, is rather unpleasant

3: which is one of the strictly defined restrictions on the universal law
stated above.  drinking coffee with your tongue in your cheek results in
spilled coffee. :)