 Off-Topic / Fun / 11295
Re: ED-209
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Chris Phillips wrote:

   Stop action isn’t dead, but it’s definitely “retro.” Check out Aardman’s “Chicken Run” or “Curse of the Were-Rabbit.” Talk about attention to detail; there’s practically a sight-gag in every frame!

That’s true, but Aardman’s stuff doesn’t count because it’s perfect--and it’s a vile blasphemy to suggest otherwise. Its inclusion would automatically distort analysis of any other film!!!

   Just watch the credits for any modern CGI movie (The Incredibles is my curent favorite, although Cars has some of the most realistic rendering to date) and you can easily see why the budgets are so large. Literally armies of programmers, animators, sound engineers, and accountants are credited at the end of every one.

My three-year-old is, surprise-surprise, very fond of Cars, to the point that I can pretty much quote the whole thing from start to finish. That movie is really an astonishing accomplishment, and the scrupulous attention paid to even the most minor of background details is commendable. One is reminded of the golden age of animated short-films wherein each cell was a work of art unto itself.

I feel your pain; my son is two-and-a-half, and I could probably play Mater to ‘yer Light’nin, if ya know whatta mean... Without going into painful detail, I think Pixar is still a few years ahead of DreamWorks or anyone else in the art.

With a child in that age bracket, you must get plenty of that other stop-action masterpiece - Bob the Builder.

   Now, we get 30-minute commercials for the next installment in the Yu Gi Oh! product line, 25 of those minutes are still frames with off-camera dialogue! Rubbish!

I’ll take Bob over an episode of Thomas any day of the week. (Ok, Thomas isn’t stop action, but that’s only because they’re too low-budget to even do that.)

   //end of rant.

Hardly!