 Off-Topic / Debate / 8750
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:09:54 GMT

There were a fair number of responses, that may be daunting in their scope
or time involved.  But yes, it was more than a comment in passing and he
invited debate on the subject of evolution.  If he doesn't want to pursue it
further, I don't have a problem with that: no answer IS an answer.  :-)

Just to make sure to clarify that; while no answer may in fact BE an answer,
it ISN'T an answer as it relates to creationism vs. evolutionism, which may
be what you're implying. The only answer it gives is that Steve doesn't WANT
to debate the matter further, or if he DOES, he wants to debate other issues
first. As to WHY, we can inferr, but the fact that he doesn't answer doesn't
invalidate creationism by any means.

Essentially, he is saying evolution isn't science, but at the same times
betrays he doesn't understand what science is, and then equates science and
religion as the same thing.

And on another note, isn't science just another form of religion? The only
difference I find is that the 'faith' we put into the scientific method is a
LOT more hard to dispute than the 'faith' one might put into Christianity.

As I stated in another post, the scientific method is based on faith in:
- our physical experiences (do you have faith in your senses?)
- our mental experiences (do you have faith in your memory?)
- the evidence presented by others (and we don't NEED faith in this, but
admittedly, we DO have faith in this)
- the 'correctness' of human logic, both in ourselves and in others (do you
have faith that if A then B, and given A, B is true? Do you not have faith
that such a conclusion is ALWAYS true?)

Anyway, suffice to say, those faiths are indeed subjective. However, I would
challenge anyone who did not have faith in these to get anything productive
done... If we doubt reality itself (which we CAN do), then what can we truly
say about reality? A big fat nothing; save random guesses.

Evolution does not address God.  That's one of the things about Creationists
that baffles me - they seem to think it does.  It neither confirms nor
denies God.  In any case, what appears random to science presumably is not
to God (omniscient).  I've mentioned before that my mother was a physical
anthropologist and a Christian and didn't seem to have a problem with it.

But that's exactly the problem for creationists. Evolution DOESN'T address
God. Just like when Descartes founded his faith in the universe in "I think
therefore I am"... He didn't start out with a 'divine' faith-- moreover, he
DERIVED a divine faith FROM his faith in himself. And as a result, most
prominent Christians had a hissy fit over it. Basically, by NOT addressing
God, it violates creationist theory. Your mother may be an anthropologist
who believes in the theory of evolution, and at the same time is Christian,
but is she actually a CREATIONIST?

Darwin, by the way, studied theology in college.  :-)

Well-- living when he did, I'd hope so-- it was kinda one of the fundamental
courses at the time, or so I'd imagine :)

DaveE