 Off-Topic / Debate / 7337
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:52:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

Christopher Weeks wrote:

If, as a
responsible adult, one chooses to use drugs, who then is to blame?

No one.  If they are responsible adults, there is no blame to assign. • They are
using whatever drugs as they wish.

I was hoping for the "no one to blame but themselves" response.  "no one" • makes it
sound like it isn't the individual's responsibility.

-John

The problem, John, is assigning blame.  Do you blame yourself for eating
dinner?  Do you blame yourself (or your parents) for the job you have?  It's
not a matter of blame, it's a matter of choice.  In the USA, our choices in
this matter are severely and unjustly (for the fans of justice among us)
limited.

... and what if one does not have the ability to make that choice? What then
John? Just leave them to rot?

Making choices is a big part of being a responsible adult.  Scott
Arthur enjoys not having that responsibilty to contend with.

I have choice. I choose to not want guns in my society for example. Every
single day of the my life I could choose to be a communist - in the UK I had
choice, in the US you had witch hunts. In the UK we had free eduaction for
all, in the US you had segragated schools. In parts of the US, you choose
not to teech your kids the accpted theory of evolution. You choose not to
give them the choice to decide.

Scott A

I wonder what
other of his own responsibilities he'd be willing to give to someone else?