 Off-Topic / Debate / 6615
Re: Begone Vile Troll (Re: No promises when I'll be done...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:41:58 GMT

Hiya Matt!

In lugnet.space, Matthew Moulton writes:
Gosh, wouldn't that be nice?  I mean I personally would think it'd be
great if I could express my opinion about something, the way that *I*
want to and not have people criticize me for it.  I mean I don't mind
if you want to disagree with me and even point out WHY I am wrong,
even if you want to do it in a "harsh" way like me, but I don't like
people who think they have to comment about my personal attitude, it's
rude, and unnecessary.

???

But you as much as asked for us to treat you that way:

I'm the kind of person who believes great things can come out of harsh
criticism.  I used to know absolutely nothing of computers or how they
worked.  I liked to pretend that I did though.  I had a teacher at one
point who basically flamed me for it.  It really made me look at
myself and realize that he was right, but it also made me want to
prove to him that I could know as much as I touted.  And I did.  I
spent two years doing personal research, study, and exploration into
the realm of computer and learned everything I could.  When I
graduated the school district appointed me as their technical
coordinator.  I held the position for three years before then going on
to a 4 year university, fully paid for through scholarships and
grants.  If you are willing to accept the fact that you may be bad at
something you can then start looking for ways of improving something
you can do, or trying to accomplish what you can't.

So give us some credit - we've only treated you in the way you've indicated
you prefer to be treated.  It's only the civil thing to do.

I agree that honest criticism, even harsh criticism, is a useful tool in the
real world, where you know who you're insulting.  Even mindless flaming has
its occasional place.  On LUGNET, however, where the recipient of your cruelty
may be 60 and able to take it constructively, he might also be 6.  You often
have no way of knowing.

Now, if your story is true, you can use it as an excellent model.  You
pretended that you knew how human beings were supposed to behave with one
another, and as a result you were quite rightly criticized.  One appropriate
course of action (for instance) would be to spend two years doing personal
research.  Try to find a group of adults who treat each other with respect
rather than as toys to manipulate and deceive, and study them.  Many people
find such a relationship to be highly rewarding, although I'm not making any
guarantees.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
I just noticed that - and I do recall seeing him posting for at least a few
weeks here.  He's been very respectful up until now, even on things that he
has attacked the most today.  Strange.

...perhaps he didn't fill a perscription or something ... ;-)

Accutane can have all kinds of bizarre side effects - violent mood swings,
sudden social dysfunctions, even brain tumors aren't unheard of.  So it may be
that your recent antisocial behavior isn't your fault.  I hope you've checked
with your doctor.

- Mike Rayhawk