 Off-Topic / Debate / 5720
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 20:30:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
That data is suspect. 100 years ago we did not have the technology to determine
what the temperature was in a repeatable way over enough sample points to
determine what the average temperature is at a given location. We've had that
technology for much less than 50 years, I'd say. And 50 years does not a
climactic trend make.

They are plenty of ways to confidently estimate temperture.  I'm looking at
a graph I'm placing into a report right now that has sea-surface temperature
estimates off the coast of California back to 130 kyears ago.   As Dave said,
they are other ways to get temperture estimates such as tree rings, ice cores,
movement of sand and dust across the plains, etc.

In a related note, there is a piece in this week's New Scientist about how the
apparent link between sunspot cycles and climate variation is not as strong as
they once thought.  Especially when one looks at the past 20 years.

I repeat, while prudence is good, there is every reason to believe this is
normal variation and has nothing to do with our activities. The data is too
inconclusive to go off half cocked and wreck an industrial civilization over a
chimera.

Yes, but when you combine the possible existance of greenhouse-gas induced
global warming with pollution, landscape fragmentation, eutropification, the
current mass extinction, and countless other environmental problems- it may
be enough reason to wreck an industrial civilization.  These are real problems
that are happening right now.  They are all related and the base cause of them
currently is rampant consumerism/capitalism.

And IF there's a problem, there are better ways of tackling it than going after
greenhouse gasses. Lots and lots better ways. Many of THEM have the side
benefit that you end up with an industrial base in space as a result, instead
of a wrecked industrial base on the planet and nothing in space.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.  Can you explain?

-Chris