 Off-Topic / Debate / 27893
Re: One really pissed off Lego customer!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
I’m not saying there should be no shipping or tax, however what I am saying is
shipping should be fair and based on weight of the item and customers should be
warned of the added tax and charged properly based on the customers home state
rate. In my case (Illinois) this is 6.25% and SaH wanted to charge me 10.15%

The problem with Shipping costs is that they very rarely cover just shipping.
Also included are the costs of packaging, warehousing, handling, etc.  "Shipping
Cost" really isn't an accurate description.

There are a few issues with basing Shipping off weight.  One, you have to keep
track of the weight of thousands of products.  In theory, this shouldn't be a
big deal with computers running the world, but it may depend on the system they
are using.  The other issue with basing the cost off from weight is that you may
have one product that doesn't weigh much, but takes up a lot of space.  If it
takes up a lot of space, it costs the company more to warehouse, and, sometime,
to ship, depending on the size.  Again, it's hard to say without knowing what
sort of system they are using.

Basing the Shipping off from the total dollar amount of an order is pretty
standard practice in the mail order industry.  The company I work for has done
shipping both ways, and we got complaints either way.  Basically, the average
customer doesn't realize that there is a lot more to shipping an order than just
walking it down to the Post Office.  Most people (and I don't blame them) don't
want to pay more than the cost of postage.  If the company in question can't
cover all the other associated costs they incur to ship the product though,
they'd need to increase the product prices instead to make up the difference.
Based on what I've seen in the industry, there's really no good way to calculate
Shipping costs that will ever make everyone involved happy.

I guess what it comes down to is the whole "buyer beware" idea.  If they state
their shipping costs up front, and you still order, you accepted it.  You can
complain (I do), but in the end you agreed to pay it.  Personally, there have
been a few times that I haven't placed an order on S@H just because of the
shipping.  There have been other times when I've had to look at the cost of
driving to the store to pick up the same items, and found that it was actually
cheaper to pay the shipping.  It all depends on what you're willing to accept.

I can't help you with the tax though.  Taxes are just irritating.

-Elroy