 Off-Topic / Debate / 27723
Re: lowering noise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 07:07:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   I think you need to take a real hard look at that paragraph. You have repeatedly posted a post I made two years ago and for what? To try to get a response from me? To try to discredit me? Whats the point? I stand behind my two-year old post and I point you to where one of the most respected members of not only the Lugnet community, but the AFOL community said it was not flaming, but instead a post with respectful tones.

It seemed to me he was trying to show a percieved double standard. While I do disagree with the use of the term “flaming” here in this thread (I consider flaming to be a post in order to denigrate another individual openly and and for no reason other than a difference in opinion or apparent lack of knowledge), I would definitely say that the post referenced referenced by Timothy was disrespectful despite being relatively politely phrased for the most part (I would not deem any of your replies to Lenny and some of the others in the thread as such however).

Also, I think Kelly was refering to your post in this thread as not being flaming, rather than the old one, which I do agree with (this does *not* mean your post in this thread was fine IMO, however).

   I think posts like yours to me and to Eric is a fundamental problem of this site. You keep turning up the noise on Lugnet where others are trying to lower it. Would you like an example of you trying to turn the noise up? Ok, I can do that - You took my post out of the Admin forum where only a small percentage of people would see it and put it in the general population’s lap - a DIRECT disregard for what Suz was asking for. And you had no problem when Frank asked the question, but had a major problem when I echoed his question. If your motives were true you would have scoffed when Frank posted it, as it was also after you deemed Eric’s topic “over”. Your efforts are a thinly veiled attempt to start trouble - I think that is easy to see.

Perhaps he felt that his question to you, since it was directed to *you* and not an admin, was taking it out of the scope of admin.general. I would not disagree with that. Was .people the right place? I don’t know; at the time maybe it was. As of now, I think it should move to o-t.debate since the thread is now debating whether or not certain posts/people are flaming, trolling, baiting, or being disrespectful.

As to the bit about “dropping it” and the like, consider the fact that *you* were the one to resurrect the question days after it had been originally asked, and in a completely different thread no less. It seems to me you’re preaching one thing after doing the opposite.

In summary, I guess I’d say that (as I read it) Timothy felt you calling for banning or some other action being taken to be little more than trying to start trouble, based on your actions in past posts (somewhat like you accused him of). I think it was his way of saying you shouldn’t be one to ask for such, since in his view, you have been at least as bad, if not worse, than those you’re calling for action against. Rather paralleling the “people in glass houses shouldn’t throw bricks” saying, I suppose.

I think it might be time we all just try to forget (or forgive) past transgressions and start clean from this point forward (which means both the referenced two year old thread *and* the whole Eric mess). It may be the only way to begin getting Lugnet back to a more friendly environment.

Jeff