 Off-Topic / Debate / 27666
Re: Thoughts on the UN "Racist" poster?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:34:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   I’m wondering what other LEGO enthusiasts think of this poster from the UN about racism. I’m having a hard time thinking it’s coincidental that the symbol they chose for “odd man out” is a LEGO brick, given the recent cartoon controversy.

Perhaps someone with better monitor-resolution can answer, but on my screen I don’t see the “LEGO” logo on any of the studs. Since it has already been established in numerous court cases that TLG does not (any longer) hold any “trademark” on the 2x4 brick design, I would say that TLG has nothing to say in this matter.

Dejure it’s out of copyright/trademark, true, but defacto it will be LEGO that will be influenced the most by any ill will engendered. Most people’s first thought, I would expect, would be “hey those are legos” (with some small subset thinking “hey, that’s a LEGO brand building element”, and some even smaller subset thinking “hey, that is either a LEGO brand element or one of the many clones”) wouldn’t you agree?

So LEGO gets smeared, defacto, for the most part... maybe a little for MB.

I think the Danes should torch the UN embassy in Copenhagen.

   Has anyone sought comment from Mega Bloks Inc., Qubo, Tandem, Cobi, Hasbro, or any of the other companies that produce or have recently produced similar bricks?

I don’t think anyone here knows the answer to that question, there are a lot of people to check status on.

XFUT lugnet.off-topic.debate