 Off-Topic / Debate / 25257
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 05:07:14 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

As far as other negative aspects of gay marriage, I would only include one-- child-raising. I believe that every child has the right to have a father and a mother.

The right? I don’t think children have any such right.

“Deserve” a better word? What rights would you ascribe to children?

Yes, maybe deserve is better, although I really don’t really know if that is right either. I’ll have to think about that some more.

   They are not equal and interchangable. All things being equal, I believe it is better for a child to grow up having a mother and a father rather than 2 of one or the other.

That may possibly be so, but I have seen no evidence to support it.

   Again, all things being equal, 1 woman and 1 man is the superior and ideal family-raising scenario.

I for one would like to see your evidence to back up that claim. I’m not saying I disagree with you, I probably lean in that direction myself, but as yet I have seen no evidence of it, and I certainly wouldn’t assert it as fact.

I’m not even sure by what criteria one could use to support or reject such a claim. I go by this: men and women are very different by nature; vastly more different than men between men or women between women. They are not equal or interchangable. They each provide a wholly unique perspective that is invaluable to a child and the child-raising experience. The idea is so obvious, unless one believes that women and men are basically the same except for differing reproductive organs and hormone levels.

Well I would say that many men are very feminine and many women are very masculine, so specifying 1 man and 1 woman does not necessarily describe the best set of parents. I think it’s possible two women (or two men) can be as different in their nature as a man and a woman. I agree it’s probably good for children to be brought up by two people with different nature, but I don’t agree that necessarily means 1 man and 1 woman.

ROSCO