 Off-Topic / Debate / 24084
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 00:13:13 GMT

But what does that mean?  Humility is irrelevant.  Your obfuscation
is a dodge.

When someone observed to Winston Churchill that his predecessor as prime
minister, Neville Chamberlain, was a humble man, Churchill is reported to
have replied, "And he has so much to be humble about."

Ditto for some current European leaders and opinion shapers, I think...

It turns out that if you leave a few words out of the search

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22much+to+be+humble+about%22+churchill&btnG=Search

you get a lot of sites with cites, most of which say that Churchill was talking
about Clement Atlee, not Chamberlain, and most of which have a different
wording. My memory of the quote was faulty and it caused me to do too narrow a
search resulting in finding only one site to cite (via cut and paste).

Further, I failed to properly attribute the cite to the source, as I was
composing the post rather hastily. That, however, doesn't mean that speed
excuses improper crediting.

My apologies to anyone inconvenienced by this incorrect (and uncredited) cite.

My further apologies to anyone inconvenienced by certain people accusing me of
being a plagiarist based on this one incident, or on any other cases where I may
have misattributed wording that was properly that of other people.

Hopefully that should clear some things up. But I have my doubts. I'm sure there
are other slipups by me out there for assidious and malintentioned nitpickers to
find.